Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Results.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well he had As3s for a turned flush, and I sucked out on the river. In retrospect I should have popped the flop. But the question is, does the ablity to control the pot size make you more money with a slowplay? This had I definitely did NOT feel in control. But you know...it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want to control pot size here? This is a situation where you try to figure out the best way to get your money in on the flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Set play?

People play their 4 flushes like gold, I reraise all in on flop. You have the best hand for sure on the flop, he probably didnt limp w/ KK on flop. I have hurt alot of players stacks by making them pay for their drawing cards.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd like a 3bet on the flop - make it about the new pot size.

lead the turn for 3/4 pot.

river i'd throw down a 2/3 or 3/4 blocking bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

My set play sucks too, please help

I can see the rationale for 3-betting the flop. Make AK, or the flush draw get more money in while behind. If Hero reraises to 20 on the flop and gets called, there will be about $40 in the pot on the turn.

The turn is the third spade, making a possible flush. Betting 3/4 pot on the turn would have hero betting $30 of his remaining $57 stack. What does hero do when villain then pushes for $27 more? Call and hope the board pairs, right? Is this a better or worse play than just pushing on the turn in the first place?

Okay, assume villain just calls the turn. Hero makes his full house. With $27 left in his stack and a $100 pot, I guess a blocking bet is all hero has left?!? Let me know if I misinterpreted something.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 PM

When you're facing a flop where the next card can beat you a larger lead is required.....at least pot sized, maybe $5 or $6. When you get raised you should re-raise at least pot sized to $25. If this were me it would be a clear signal that if villain is on a flush draw he better plan on hitting the turn cause that's when I'm going to push. If he calls then I take him off the flush draw and put him on AK or set of 6's. If he's not on a flush draw then push the turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd like a 3bet on the flop - make it about the new pot size.

lead the turn for 3/4 pot.

river i'd throw down a 2/3 or 3/4 blocking bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

My set play sucks too, please help

I can see the rationale for 3-betting the flop. Make AK, or the flush draw get more money in while behind. If Hero reraises to 20 on the flop and gets called, there will be about $40 in the pot on the turn.

The turn is the third spade, making a possible flush. Betting 3/4 pot on the turn would have hero betting $30 of his remaining $57 stack. What does hero do when villain then pushes for $27 more? Call and hope the board pairs, right? Is this a better or worse play than just pushing on the turn in the first place?

Okay, assume villain just calls the turn. Hero makes his full house. With $27 left in his stack and a $100 pot, I guess a blocking bet is all hero has left?!? Let me know if I misinterpreted something.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah.. got kind of off track not thinking about the stack sizes.. after the 3bet i think i'd push the turn - i dont feel he's on a flushdraw.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Results.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well he had As3s for a turned flush, and I sucked out on the river. In retrospect I should have popped the flop. But the question is, does the ablity to control the pot size make you more money with a slowplay? This had I definitely did NOT feel in control. But you know...it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a general rule, if you are going to slowplay (and it's rare to need to in SSNL) do it in position, not out of position. Get money in the pot quick with big hand's oop. Build big pots with big hands.

Edit: Not pushing that river after his raise is a leak. You only have something like 9 bucks left, if you are calling you should be pushing. You may be beat on ocassion but villian will call with many worse hands after putting so much money in.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Can you please post a hand where your opponent raised on some street and then folded to a re-raise? Cause I don't think I've ever seen that happen at NL100. Pot the flop, 3-bet if raised. Pot the turn. Get WAY more money in the pot. This pot should be at least double what it is by your line at just about every point in this hand. You should pretty much have no problem getting all in on the turn here.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I was trying to control the pot size...and get value...so it feels like I played it horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot control is a tactic that is used to strike a balance between losing the least when behind while winning the most when ahead, with an emphasis on losing the least when behind.

In this hand on the flop that tactic doesn't apply, becasue you have the best hand and the most equity almost 100% of the time. With the best hand and the most equity, your goal is to grow the pot as much as possible; quite the opposite of "pot control" as it's usually discussed. Your opponent has shown a willingness to go to the matresses with his flop raise.

There is another consideration. Your opponent might be semibluffing (or value semibluffing) the only hand you are really at all vulnerable to: a flush draw. Hand protection should come to mind on a flop & action like this.

Fortunately there's one tactic that fits both bills: aggession from you. Large bets and raises are what's called for here. Pot the flop (not half-pot like you did). When he raises, make a sizable re-raise. If you can, push. If you can't push the flop, you're usually shooting to push the turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:34 PM

omfg just push the river.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bomb flop

[/ QUOTE ]