Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: 50,000 hand update, stats checkup (long).

amen. if you can't beat 1/2, you ARE not gonna beat 2/4...
Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 PM

dude, get a damn job. you should not be playing poker wiht money that you cannot afford to lose.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I gave up playing from any sort of chart months ago. Now, every pre-flop decision I make is based on the situation at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should be more generous in your evaluation of the situations so that the net result is you playing more starting hands and raising more frequently preflop. This isn't about charts, this is about comfort playing lesser quality starting hands profitably.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that when I move up to 2/4 that I'll open up a little more, since that limit is known to be "less tough" than 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone persists in saying this and yet it is not true. There is more aggression at every level, therefore it will be difficult for you to find more spots to play since the chance that the pot is raised in front of you increases. It is easy to actually tighten up which you really don't want to do with your already tight stats.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right about pre-flop play. It is an area that I am working on by reading and studying hands posted here, along with evaluation of my own play. I know I'm too tight pre-flop.

As far as 2/4 goes, we will see. I've heard that 2/4 full is a softer game than 1/2. If that is the case, I'll have to re-evaluate some portions of my game.

Right now, I pass on some marginally +EV decisions pre-flop. Mostly small and medium PP, offsuit broadway and suited aces in early to middle position are what I pass on. I'll try opening up my game a little bit, and see where that goes in the next 15,000 hands or so (two weeks).

Thanks for your constructive comments.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: No solid base

[ QUOTE ]
With a winning session rate of less than 50% I think you should wait a while before trying to go full time. It seems as though all of your play is through pre-set systems. If I were you I'd play less hands per day and do a lot more reading, such as SSH. You don't seem to have a solid base of knowledge. You should know what to do in each situation, but also why you are doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. Anyone who hasn't worn the spine off of SSHE needs to study that volume more. My copy is held together with duct tape.

Unfortunately, little of this applies to me. I know why I make every play at the poker table. Sometimes I make mistakes, and I learn from them. My base of knowledge doesn't cover other forms of poker, but for limit HE, it is pretty broad.

Going "full time" is a decision that I've been thinking long and hard about. My winrate has been over 1BB/100 at all limits I've played for the past 80,000 hands (25,000 hands or so at Prima before this year). Today I played 1100 hands in two and a half hours (so far). If I play four hours a day I'll get about 8,800 hands a week. At 1.5BB/100 that's $264 a week, or $13.20 an hour. This gives me some time to study and improve my game.

I could increase my BB/100 by playing less tables, but I would be making less money overall. There is little appreciable difference in my play when playing four tables than playing eight. More tables also leads to lower variance, which I need to assist in protecting my bankroll, which is always priority #1.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Right now my real job is taking care of my daughter and the household, and it always will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are taking care of her by investing her future based on gambling? God (I hope he exists) bless you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a certainty that God exists.

My wife makes more than enough money to pay the bills. While I don't mind our living situation, I don't like not contributing to the household in a monetary fashion. It's one of the reasons I've picked up a few monthly bills.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, get a damn job. you should not be playing poker wiht money that you cannot afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank your for your insightful words.

I might mention that while in fact I cannot afford to lose my bankroll, I play well within my limits for this very purpose. Besides, this is the job that I choose for myself. I've tried working for others all my life, and am continually amazed at the amount of incompetence in management positions. I prefer to make my own decisions, knowing that I am responsible for them. I've lost plenty of "jobs" because I was told to do something incredibly stupid and I refused.

Working from home is a real bonus, too.

I didn't start this thread to discuss whether or not I should play full-time. That decision has already been made.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are taking care of her by investing her future based on gambling? God (I hope he exists) bless you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe poker isn't to be relied on as the sole income? You people preaching at him without knowing his situation have some damn nerve.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:56 PM

I should add on some more background info.

My very first online poker was at Party. I deposited $50 and lost it in about a week. Typical.

I then found 2+2.

I started with the free $10 from RV, and added $50 so I could move up more quickly. I built that up to about $900 in a few months, playing around 25,000 hands and averaging over 6BB/100 at .25/.50 full. That was an incredible run.

I purchased SSHE and TOP somewhere in here.

I withdrew the full amount, and put $600 into Party. I haven't looked back since. I've never had to put additional money into my bankroll.

53,000 hands at full-ring making 2BB/100 between .5/1 and 1/2 should be an indication that I have been a winning player. While the sample is still small, it is very likely that this is true.

Well, I've got to get dinner on. Thanks everyone for their comments.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe poker isn't to be relied on as the sole income? You people preaching at him without knowing his situation have some damn nerve.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. Let them have their opinion, but don't let it shake you. I was ready to walk from this forum entirely today, but have changed my mind. The more idiots here, the better.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Well what more can I say?

Honestly, good luck.