Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Re: First 150 SnG\'s Analysis Wanted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your ITM isn't bad, but your ROI is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bit harsh - its positive and, as such, can't be described as horrible.

Room for improvement? Most definitely, but horrible is too harsh a criticism for me.

As for the rest of your advice, I couldn't agree more!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for my choice of vocabulary. I should have said, "needs improvement."

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but constructively, it is indeed horrible.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but constructively, it is indeed horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]-reffering to the low RoI

[ QUOTE ]
I recently decided to give SNG's a try

[/ QUOTE ]

Id say for someones first 150 SnGs ever a 12% roi is a great start.

You will get better, and there is some good advice here.

You are smart enough to ask for advice and analysis. Already you are a step above a ton of poker players.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize for my choice of vocabulary. I should have said, "needs improvement."

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem - I just didn't want the original poster to be discouraged - after all he's a winning player so far, which is the first step.

Now, with all the excellent advice he's been offered, he has the tools to improve his ROI!!

I think I was just a bit grouchy when I posted yesterday after 3 consecutive 4th place finishes. Short-stacks sucking out repeatedly do nothing to improve my mood! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sheriff
Old 06-29-2004, 05:02 AM

I didn't mind when he said "horrible" so people don't need to worry about him being too harsh. I wanted all comments, so I appreciate it. This is my first real attempt at SnG's and I have learned a lot from both my 150 SnG's and even more from the replies here. Thanks for the replies, and if anyone has thoughts to my recent large reply above, please comment. Thanks.

-aesic
Old 06-29-2004, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, I went through the SAME process myself. I thought that SnGs were more fun than the ring games. But after playing $10 SnGs for a month, realized that my BR had barely even moved. ALL THAT WORK, and little to show for it. So I starting "grinding it out" in the ring games, again, and haven't looked back ever since. Once you move up in stakes, the rewards will multiply...and so will your BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Your observations are correct only if you are quite a poor SNG player (I hope your limit game is *much* stronger).

Good SNG players, playing multiple-tables at the $11 (say 3 tables), can easily make about $10/H and more, and they need a bankroll of only, say, $250, to be on the rather *safe* side. And I'm talking about the (almost) lowest buy-in's possible, you might make your own calculation for players who make it in the 50/100/200 levels, and they need MUCH smaller bankroll, than if they wanted to earn the same $/H in limit games.

For players who are willing to truely master their SNG game, it seems much more profitable than any other choice, IMHO, and with a much smaller risk.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:12 AM

I sarted on the tens and have worked my way upto the 100s.

My win rate on stat king is logged at $42.64 an hour.
Half way through this month I moved upto 100s and my win rate for this month is 58$ an hour.

I doubt I could achieve anything close to this in ring play.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:47 AM

These are not bad results at all, I have two observations to add.

1) 150 SNGs is a small sample. You could be a losing player, or a player who wins a lot more. 150 SNGs will not tell that story.

2) However, the apparent trend is that you are too tentative on the bubble. There have been some recent posts by me (last 3 weeks or so) about bubble play and such. Just remember that when your stack is about 7-10x BB, all you can do is move all in or fold. My guess is that maybe you are being tentative, and settling for crawling into the money. You will see much better long term results if you had a few more fourths and fifths, and a few more firsts.

Keep it up, good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not read TPFAP because I never planned on being a tournement/SNG player, but if I continue to enjoy and "do well" in tournements, I will be buying the book shortly. Thanks for the responses.

-aesic

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even reading the rest of the responses, but there really shouldn't be any "if" there, except for this: If you KNOW that you will never play in any tournaments again, don't buy this book. Otherwise, buy this book! It's already paid for itself in my bank account.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 PM

I think it's important to remember that you must vary your strategy from game to game based on the looseness of your opponents, the aggressiveness of your opponents and the relative size of your stack. Having a big stack with 4 to 5 players remaining can be a huge weapon when used correctly. It will increase you win rate (as opposed to your cash rate) significantly.

If your opponents are maniacs early, tighten up and get out of the way until you find yourself if a great situation. If not great situation comes along, lay low and wait until the middle/late stages to take advantage of anyone who thinks you're playing supertight. If you're still short when you're down to the bubble, make sure that you're the aggressor and not the caller. And try to attack opponents who are also afraid of bubbling (med and med/short stacks), as opposed to big stacks who can't be hurt badly by doubling you up and tiny stacks who are too desperate to fold anymore.

If preflop raises are stealing many pots early in the SnG, wait for an opportunity to open a pot in good position with a decent hand an attack. If blinds are for sale, buy some. Just don't get carried away when you're called and miss the flop.

If limping is standard fare, limp along when you've got good position and a hand with nice implied odds. Again, don't get married to mediocre made hands when you are facing many opponents for a pot. Flop big, or get out of the way.

If you're able to build a big stack early, be willing to open more pots when its folded to you, but be aware of the tendencies and stack sizes of the players on your left. Be particularly aware of the tendencies and stacks of the players' whose blinds you're stealing. Beyond that, continue to play premium hands and spend time watching your opponents play. Once you're down to 5 players or so (assuming you've been able to maintain or grow the large stack), you should know the remaining players fairly well and you should be attacking the tighter players with medium stacks.

And like everyone else has mentioned, aggression is the most important characteristic of winning player when the game becomes shorthanded. Just make sure you're the one attacking and not the one defending.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses. After reading the responses,I have had as many 1st's as 2nd and 3rd combined. Granted, its only 20 or so SnG's, but I still think that these comments have helped greatly. Thanks again for the comments and I'll be sure to post any more questions I have after seeing how much this post has helped me.

-aesic