Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 2 - Four vs. Five
The Road Warrior (4) 81 46.29%
Beverly Hills Cop (5) 94 53.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Is this bad etiquette?

In no-limit, it's cool for both players to show right away. Plus it's nice in that both players know exactly where they are from the get-go.

In limit, I always show right away when my opponent goes all in. It's a courtesy that I would like to have extended to me were I in that position (which, of course, sometimes I am).

It just comes down to the Golden Rule. If you wouldn't want to think your kings are good because the other guy didn't show his aces, then don't do it to the other guy. Some players seem to enjoy the meanness of the act as much as winning the pot.

A couple weeks ago a guy bets on the river and I call. He says "no pair" and I show my top two. He then tables his flush. I say nothing, but another player at the table says, "No pair and no class."

Exactly.h
Old 10-21-2005, 11:50 AM

Very good post, Andy. I try to do the same everytime I'm heads up with an all-in.

Swede
Old 10-21-2005, 12:03 PM

My absolute favorite slow roll ever (thats sarcasm) . . .

I'm playing in a $4 & $8 game and get pocket Kings. I raise pre flop and bet the whole way and get called down by an old woman. On the River the Ace falls and I throw out my $8 bet. She calls by throwing out 2 red chips. As soon as she calls I flip up my Kings and ask "you got the ace?" She refuses to turn over her cards and points to her two red chips and demands that the dealer give her change. The dealer hesitates waiting to see what she is going to do. She demands her change so the dealer brings in the chips and gives her $2 and then she flips over her cards which of course include an Ace.

Another player commented on the rudeness of that and she says in broken english that she has been playing poker for 25 years and she don't tell her how to play.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:16 PM

IMO a nut-kicking should have taken place here. When you've got the aces, and someone else turns up the kings, just friggin' turn 'em up already and skip the slowroll. If you had the kings and they had the aces, I might be a little more sympathetic. In this case Mr. dingleberry-eater [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] is probably going to piss off the action player to the point where he won't be buying in again any time soon.

al
Old 10-21-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turns out seat 9 is an attorney who is deeply involved with launching a new poker magazine that has something to do with the formation of some kind of poker players association. I wonder who will be the etiquette expert

[/ QUOTE ]

great, just what we need - another crappy poker magazine written by idiots / A-holes. Is it any wonder I have completely stopped reading ALL poker magazines altogether?

al
Old 10-21-2005, 12:21 PM

I gotta disagree strongly here my friend. If you're way ahead, turn em up or it looks and feels like a slowroll.

al
Old 10-21-2005, 12:53 PM

I think it's bad for the game because it is very typical to turn hands face up once all the money is in, and most players are accustomed to it. I also think it's bad for the player to not show right away because it is such a typical practice to do so. As long as both hands are face-up by the river, I don't have a huge problem with what seat 4 did. Big all-ins in heads-up situations are hotbeds for collusion in NL, so I'd want both hands shown down.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM

Just before observing the action from the lead post I had just listened to Tommy Angelo's song "Slowroll" on my MP3 player. This story was almost as good [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM

This thread got me thinking of a hand I played a while back in which my actions might be seen as dickish.

I'm headsup with a bad player in a no-limit game. I checkraised him with 33 on a JTT flop for various reasons and he looked very uncomfortable about it. On the brick turn (a seven or something), I pushed all-in (I had him covered; at least I didn't say "I put you all-in" but that expression is a pet peeve of mine), he hemmed and hawed for quite a while and finally called. As soon as he called, he flipped over his AJ. Am I a jerk for not showing my treys? I was going to muck without showing if I didn't hit my 2-outer. I did say "good call, you're ahead" but didn't reveal my hand. As soon as the river came (a trey because I was in luckbox mode that day), I said "I'm really sorry" and promptly tabled my hand. Was I a jerk for not showing earlier?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It just comes down to the Golden Rule. If you wouldn't want to think your kings are good because the other guy didn't show his aces, then don't do it to the other guy. Some players seem to enjoy the meanness of the act as much as winning the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hits the nail on the head although seat four didn't seem to be the mean type.

[ QUOTE ]
A couple weeks ago a guy bets on the river and I call. He says "no pair" and I show my top two. He then tables his flush. I say nothing, but another player at the table says, "No pair and no class." - Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good mini-story.

~ Rick