Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: here I\'ll post you a hand.

Good post, Mikey. You've got a fine knack for honestly depicted the types of decisions that are easiest to screw up, and easiest to regret later.

If I may suggest something. Try eliminating these words and concepts from your mind: fish, sucker, moron, idiot, chump, live one, etc. And I believe it will be much easier for you to fold that AQ on the river, because suddenly, with no judgments in the way, it's just another decision in just another situation.

Tommy
Old 02-17-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Great Advice Tommy

Tommy,

Great Advice. I agree with you 100%.

Removing words - such as the ones you describe - which infer emotion, will assist in taking emotion out of the decision making process. In poker, the most objective decision is usually the best one.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Why most of us lose...................

While I don't disagree that with you that the
rake is a big factor, I don't agree with your
theory that:

"There can be no other reason."

Even if all the money stays in the game, it could be the
case that more players lose then win as long as some losers
lose enough.

Conversely with a rake, it is possible a few
super-losers allow all the other players to be winners.

D.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: here I\'ll post you a hand.

Tommy,

Good point, and one that Mikey has been told before on these boards.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:40 PM

Default Hey, major

Which part of the post didn't you like? The part that told an admitted loser that no longer wishes to lose money that he should quit? Or was it something else?

It's immoral to encourage someone like this to continue.

Hope I haven't upset your long held cherished beliefs.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:28 PM

Default not enought players take responsibility for their actions..

Not accepting constructive critisism and never accepting responsibily contributes to losing play. A big ego also doesnt help. I have studied martial art's for more than half of my life. The first thing a karateka learns, leave your ego at the door!! The same should apply at poker. Some people won't allow you to run them over.

I made a play Saturday night that I thought made sense. A friend of mine critiqued the hand over dinner. He said I made a stupid play. I posted the hand, and sure enough I did make a dumb play. Several posters pointed out the mistake, and now I understand why the play was a mistake. I learned from a mistake and from others experiences.

Good point, and one that Mikey has been told before on these boards.

I have told him the same thing countless times in person as well as over the telphone. If I may chime in, Mikey likes to categorize players. Certain players he think who never bluff, will bluff against him. Certain players who don't get tricky, will attempt tricky maneuvers against him. I have experienced Mikey at the table and he fails to give certain players credit, or he gives other players too much credit.

If someone he percieves to play like a "fish" makes a move, he doesnt give the person credit for making a move. He thinks, they have to have the gutshot, so I will throw away my aces. When the fish then accidently flashes an inferior hand, Mikey goes on tilt.

So what happens ? The players that Mikey calls "fish" start making moves against him. Why? Because they know he has become the fish and they have become pirannha.

Mikey you still have hope, but you seem so afraid to lose. If you are going to fold AK or AA every time the board looks scary why play? Stand up to these players and stop letting them take shots at you.

Old 02-17-2003, 01:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Why most of us lose...................

i believe he was joking
Old 02-17-2003, 01:48 PM

Default Re: not enought players take responsibility for their actions..

Not accepting constructive critisism and never accepting responsibily contributes to losing play.

Hmmm... That sounds familiar. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:53 PM

Default re: original post

I don't think my talent level is particularly high. I'm no poker superstar, I can't see through people's cards or read their minds. Even when playing my A game I make mistakes. But I do well in my regular game for one reason: I play "better enough" compared to my opponents, after taking the rake in account. That's the only reason people win.

Of course there's a lot of corollaries to my statement, the main ones (for me), being:

I don't tilt, I don't get bored and make bad preflop decisions, I don't allow myself to be playing less than my B game, I don't play in games I don't have the bankroll for, I have enough humility to allow myself to play in lower games (or leave) when my main game isn't good, etc etc, you've heard it all before.

It's all about discipline.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:31 PM

Default FOR MG IN NJ

"Not accepting constructive criticism and never accepting responsibly contributes to losing play."

-I agree with this statement and this is a reason why I’m not in any type of denial with myself…..I post on here, I voice my opinion, although I may be wrong at times….that’s fine...because I know what I think…..and I want to let others know what I think…..I’m not going to agree...and jump the wagon with the majority...I’m going to say what I think is right....and then when others respond....and say, “no, no Mikey....you are wrong,this is bad” I’ll see what I did wrong….and reevaluate and then either realize I’m wrong which I will admit or…..stick with my opinion.

-You don’t seem to agree with it because when I asked you if you wanted a piece of advice about poker, you said, “WAIT WAIT WAIT…..you are going to give me advice about poker??” I’m sorry Mike I guess you know all there is to know about poker.

“The first thing a karateka learns, leave your ego at the door!! The same should apply at poker.”

I don’t get emotional around a poker table….the only emotion I portray is having fun….I don’t get mad when someone outdraws me….I laugh it off….I say nice hand…and move onto the next one…..when I do get emotional is when I come home and get on my computer and start posting hands….that is when I let my emotion run.

“If someone he perceives to play like a "fish" makes a move, he doesn’t give the person credit for making a move. He thinks, they have to have the gutshot, so I will throw away my aces. When the fish then accidentally flashes an inferior hand, Mikey goes on tilt.”

I go on tilt….lol….Mike let’s be honest with each other, when did you ever see me go on tilt?? Mike we haven’t sat at the same table since the Carter Administration…..it’s been so long that I don’t even remember…..the last time I recall that you actually saw me play was when we were playing 5-10 at the TAJ…… I think that was last year…that was a long time ago and many things have changed since then...

Also who is the fish that flashed me an inferior hand…?? WHO?? WHEN ??? I WANT TO KNOW!!!!! I DON’T REMEMBER…..PLEASE PUT UP A FOLLOW UP POST ON THIS PARTICULAR HAND.

These bullshit posts you put up here to make yourself feel better about yourself are worth DICK, don’t pass judgment on me, when you haven’t seen me play for a long time.

“Mikey you still have hope, but you seem so afraid to lose. If you are going to fold AK or AA every time the board looks scary why play? Stand up to these players and stop letting them take shots at you.”

-is this supposed to be a sympathy statement.
-you see Mike there is a time to fold AA, and there is a time to fold AK…. For instance if I’m next to act and the board looks like this J 8 9 Turn J. A person bets again into a field of 3 people….including me…..then I’m going to fold…..AA.

Mike I’d like to make it real clear too, I’m not taking any offense to your comments, I’ve been insulted by better people.