Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Poker fad has reached its peak

Not that I know that much about Europe or anything...but it seems that the EPT episodes got pretty decent coverage over there and could really feed the whole poker-frenzy bit in some of the countries where it just ain't so hot yet.

And then there's that whole asian thing that we're all hoping for regarding online-poker.

And all the kids who think it's cool and will continue to think it's cool. yada yada yada.

However, I think it's pretty hard to say one way or the other (we could have U.S. legislation...or a bunch of kids losing thousands and thousands of dollars and Dr. Phil and Oprah and the rest of the media REALLY going crazy about it, etc etc).

How hard is it to predict?
2 years ago, after moneymaker won the WSOP (field of 849 players), there's probably not a single person out there who would have believed that just 2 years later PokerStars would be sending more than 1000 players to the WSOP in a field of 6000 or more.
(when Moneymaker won it Stars sent just 39 players and they thought that was a big freaking deal).

So - I can SAY, "I just can't picture the WSOP getting less than 6000 players in the next couple of years."
But, the fact is, we just don't freaking know.

ESPN is increasing their coverage though.
All the WSOP circuit events start airing right after the WSOP ME is concluded.
Then they'll get to airing the WSOP prelim events and then the main-event.

Poker-rooms are expanding all over the country to try to keep up with demand (the new room at the Horseshoe in Tunica is terrific).

Most importantly...online-poker is becoming more and more accepted as just a regular part of American life for many people. It's so prevelent now that it's not some horrible, evil and illegal taboo (as senator Kyl of AZ would like you to believe).
It's mainstream and fewer and fewer have the kind of moral objections to it that they did even 2 or 3 years ago.

Additionally, people are less and less timid about putting their financial info online (CC# and whatnot) whereas just 2 years ago when I had just started playing there was still all kinds of fear about purchasing online with CC's or depositing into some poker-site.
It was a big trepidation of mine when I first started playing (I only deposited the minimum $50 when I started, partly because I just didn't know if this site would pay me back).

There are all kinds of reasons to believe that this whole thing will continue in the same general direction.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:39 AM

I dont know if it has reached its peak yet in Europe. I was just in London and all over the Train stations and pipes (subways) I saw PartyPoker ads. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of one. I think we are going to see a big boom of European players soon.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That depends, does your idea of a decent job include the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

(For the record, I have a BA and have turned down a couple of decent jobs because I'm a worthless layabout at heart)

But the BA jokes have to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be in physics from a very good school with an excellent reputation. (Amherst College fwiw). I'm not worried.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell do you get a BA in Physics?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 AM

We are seeing overload on tv over here now too much to keep up with currently we have

The Poker Channel (as has been discussed previous) currently main thing its showing is the POkerstars Heads Up think the POker Den that Party is doing is running on there too.

PokerZone- a new poker channel a mixture of previously shown stuff and at 9.30 each night coverage of some Prima (Stan James) cash and sng's (there is a 25/50NL game on quite often).

POker Million - showing 1 time a week on the main satellite sports channel.

Party Heads Up - Sky Travel once a week I think

CHallenge TV - Premiering WPT 2 days a week from 10pm each night is either WPT or last years WSOP. Also had a lot of uk celebrity poker on.

Late night poker is being repeated often on I think men and motors.

EPT has just been shown on terrestrial TV. Also some Pacific tournament was on and a Party tournament as well.
In the works is a amatuar Late Night Poker to be shown on terrestrial tv in sept, I think UB might be doing somthing as well and Pacific no doubt too and the VC cup.

Theres some chat show type thing hosted by jesse may on some channel as well with poker guests but havent seen it and I think there is a weekly news show on another channel as well.

As I say there is too much to watch and keep up with even though I have Sky+ (like tivo) its too much to watch.

There are adverts for all the main rooms everywhere on the trains, tubes at all the main sporting events and a lot of programs sponsored by the gambling rooms Ladbrokes etc.

Gutshot is looking for bigger premises as often is selling out their tournaments (128 max sometimes with 20+ alternates) mainly on the chaper $8 rebuy and $50 freezeout but there is a demand.

I suspect we are near saturation point as far as tv stuff goes and it will start cutting back as there is too much for a large audience imho.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That depends, does your idea of a decent job include the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

(For the record, I have a BA and have turned down a couple of decent jobs because I'm a worthless layabout at heart)

But the BA jokes have to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be in physics from a very good school with an excellent reputation. (Amherst College fwiw). I'm not worried.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell do you get a BA in Physics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberal arts college. Weird I know.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM

Q: How many BS students does it take to write a sentence?

A: Six, with edits from a BA student.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 PM

That article's saying nothing, their will always be new generations turning 19/21 and coming in..not to mention all the ways they'l come up with to make it more accessible ie - partypoker/stars/room on the cell phone/PSP/toaster will bring in countless fish...the only thing i'm worried about is canada bringing in a gambling tax i'll probably cry.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:54 PM

The peak isn't near. As more people take an interest players will be getting smarter and better with their game, but poker will never die.