Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it?

I have no idea about live pros but i can tell you quite a few people "make it" playing online. I have made in the low six figures the last several years playing maybe 30 hrs or so a week and let me tell you it is awesome compared to the jobs i have had. I have a bachelors and am currently working on a masters and have not decided what i am going to do after i get my graduate degree. I was also a moron who didnt get rakeback until the last few months and so could have probably been making another 40-50k a year just in rakeback at my level of play pushing me up into the 200k+ range. It is possible, and it is a comfortable lifestyle. Sure its stressful sometimes, but its rarely that boring as you can watch tv, listen to music, read 2+2 etc while you are playing 2-3 tables rather easily. Additionally i have a lot of friends that will get together and play poker together which makes it a lot more sane experience than sitting in a room all by urself. (Dont even think collusion lol, we all play diff limits/games).

Basically before poker i was broke, had tons of debt, little free time and no freedom to do what i want. Now i live in a 2500 sq ft house that i bought, have little debt, and the freedom to travel whenever and wherever i want. For me it has been a huge blessing and made my life 100x easier and better so far than a lot of my other 25yr old friends grinding out 25-40k at entry level corporate jobs.