Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, an

[ QUOTE ]
Why is that? With a 1/3 structure, there's less dead money in the pot to begin with, and the SB is less likely to defend. Why is the likelihood of a medium-sized pot inreased?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll see a lot more MP/LP open-raises on 3/6 than on 2/4, and there are a lot more players on 3/6 who recognize a steal attempt when they see one, and will punish it with a pretty wide range of hands. So you end up with a fair number of hands where it's folded to CO who open-raises, Button 3-bets, SB folds, BB calls, CO calls....etc.

At least in my experience, on 2/4 CO would be more likely to open-limp with a mediocre holding like K9s, and Button more likely to limp behind with his A9s or 44.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, and...

This is a quote from "EV and other Stuff" from the 2+2 magazine. I like what it has to say.

"It is much better to play in a smaller game and play at your peak earn than to play higher at less than optimum. This way you get to build up the money needed to play higher stakes without the risk of losing and not being sure you can beat that game. Sure, some times there will be games that are so good it may be worth taking a shot at. Playing ABC poker, and grinding out what you can. But overall, building up your bankroll by playing at your best in the games that give you the highest expectation for what you can afford will give you the most money in the long run. And, of course, the long run is where it is at. "

Default Re: To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, and...

65,603 and counting. Preparing for a move. Still lots to learn at 2/4, but then again I felt the same way after 90,000 or so .5/1 hands.

I'm very consevative with my roll out of necessity and temperment, but I'm now comfortably over-rolled for 3/6 and plan to make the move within another 20,000 hands or so (beginning of April ish).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is that? With a 1/3 structure, there's less dead money in the pot to begin with, and the SB is less likely to defend. Why is the likelihood of a medium-sized pot inreased?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll see a lot more MP/LP open-raises on 3/6 than on 2/4, and there are a lot more players on 3/6 who recognize a steal attempt when they see one, and will punish it with a pretty wide range of hands. So you end up with a fair number of hands where it's folded to CO who open-raises, Button 3-bets, SB folds, BB calls, CO calls....etc.

At least in my experience, on 2/4 CO would be more likely to open-limp with a mediocre holding like K9s, and Button more likely to limp behind with his A9s or 44.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has nothing to do with the blind structure, though. I thought you were saying the blind structure has something to do with the size of the pots when it comes down to stealing situations.

Rob
Old 03-08-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That has nothing to do with the blind structure, though. I thought you were saying the blind structure has something to do with the size of the pots when it comes down to stealing situations.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it does have something to do with the blind structure, for exactly the reason that you already brought up--the SB is less likely to defend having to put $5 into the pot to protect his $1. This makes the steal attempt more attractive from the get-go (and makes the resteal 3-bet more attractive because Button doesn't want BB throwing in $3 to win $10).
Old 03-08-2005, 03:37 PM

I've played about 35K hands of 2/4, only for the last 15K hands have I've been happy with my results and level of play. My reasons for not moving up are #2, #3, #4, and #6. But I have started data-mining 3/6 for the eventual move up.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reason to not play 3/6, you'll want to learn the lessons presented there sooner or later. And if you have the bankroll for it, why not sooner?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking only for myself, I feel that I should learn SH play at the 1/2 6m tables before moving to 3/6.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:50 PM

I'm at about 20Kish hands of 2/4 and haven't yet figured out if I'm just not very good or if I'm running bad. I'm beating it for around 1.5BB and have been basically break even for the last 6-7K hands. While it's still more profitable than a 4BB winrate at .5/1, it's more stressful and I get outplayed more often. I have more than enough money to play 3/6, but with a 1.5BB winrate at 2/4 I'm not even considering a move to 3/6. Maybe 15/30 though.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Why?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:57 PM

I don't know why you're thinking 1.5BB/100 is bad. I think you can be proud of this #. You're a winning player.