Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Brunson \' quote about Sklansky

Who cares?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 PM

If you go to cardplayer.com, "magazine," in the top left corner, writers, and my name, you'll find two articles about playing your own rush and defending against another person's rush.
Regards,
Al
Old 01-06-2004, 10:49 PM

ok, I don't believe in this clumping effect. That's like saying "because red has been hit 10 times in a roulette game, the next one will be red." I think we all know that's simply NOT true.

I DO believe in the psychological effect that you can inflict on people (who believe in rushes) by making them THINK you're on a rush.

And I DO have the book in front of me and he says nothing about "psych'ing" people out and making them fear him because he's on a rush. This is how he states it verbatim pg 451:

"If you don't play that way... you'll never have much of a rush. I know that scientists don't believe in rushes... but they make about fifteen hundred a month. I've played poker for almost 25 years now...and I've made millions at it. A big part of my winnings comes from playing my rushes.

There's only one world class poker player I know who doesn't believe in rushes.Well...he's wrong and so are all the other 'scientists', besides how many of them can play poker anyway?"

Old 01-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Hi Al,
I just read your articles on rushes, and if Brunson was going to write a section about rushes, that's how he should've done it.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:17 AM

LAG = Loose Aggressive Games
LAP = Loose Passive Games
TAG = Tight Aggressive Games
TPG = Tight Passive Games
Old 01-07-2004, 11:42 AM

I didn't know Mr. Sklansky had 3 WSOP bracelets. What are they for?

Thanks,

twomarks
Old 01-07-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Classless Remarks From One of My Heroes

Doyle Brunson is one of my heroes, as he should be to anyone who plays the game, but this is not the first time I've heard him say things I considered CLASSLESS. After busting out (first round!) of the 2003 WSOP, the Texas Dolly was asked what he thought of the chances of the defending 2002 champion's (Robert Varkony) repeating as winner. Instead of showing grace and the humility appropriate to a true champion (which, of course, he IS), he told the ESPN interviewer that he didn't give him much of a chance (no doubt accurate, particularly in retrospect), and that he (Doyle) couldn't imagine how he got through the field the year before in the first place. What's up with that? I mean, he is deservedly considered one of the top players to ever live, but that--and his remarks about DS--demonstrate a little something missing in the character department, don't you think?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Classless Remarks From One of My Heroes

Since when is answering a question truthfully "classless"?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Brunson vs. Sklanky and Caro

If he held them in so much contempt, why the heck were they asked (By Doyle personally) to write sections of his Super/System book?

Doyle's just blowing off. Probably got aces cracked by some whale holding 93o or something like 10 minutes prior.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:26 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC
Default Re: Classless Remarks From One of My Heroes

i thought it was candid and great the way he responded to that question. should he have given the stereotypical pc response? btw varkoni irked the crap out of me, watching him act like the big cheese, with his coach and grandstanding etc.