Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: FT of Party $35,000 G - What would you do with AJs?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or bitch out and worry about it for the next 2 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding there may be correct and probably isn't a big mistake if it wasn't, although a read on the min-raiser could change that. You usually want to be first in the pot with <10 BBs and AJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also good advice. I don't think there is a really bad choice here. You just gotta make sure you're not waiting for AJs or better to open push from LP.

And FWIW, with sky-high blinds, I'm far from willing to give a min-raise credit for a monster.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: FT of Party $35,000 G - What would you do with AJs?

[ QUOTE ]
My first final table in a large buy-in MTT. My image thus far has been tight, with none of my open pushes called. What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t36574)
MP2 (t123628)
MP3 (t17536)
CO (t56434)
Hero (t32938)
SB (t23383)
BB (t26123)
UTG (t57590)
UTG+1 (t39632)
UTG+2 (t103162)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 folds, MP1 raises to t8000</font>, 3 folds[/i]</font>.

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are absolutely critical here. How many hands into the FT is this? Can't be too many cause the table is still 10 handed.

The min raise could mean a few things... it could just be the standard raise for the table, he could be stealing but with the chip leader on his left, I think that'd be less likely. Chances are he doesn't want to scare anyone off. There are really only six hands that you are a heavy underdog to, AK,AQ,AA,KK,QQ and JJ. How many others would he likely raise with? Most players will open from MP1 with AT, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, KQ KJ, etc... point is, it is reasonable to think you have him beat or tied.

You have three options:

Folding is kind of the default. It's what I'd do unless I had a good reason not to. Without a read I don't talk myself into calling here. Main reason is the uncertainty, coupled with the difference in payout between 10th and 1st place. You can still win the tournament or if nothing else finish a few spots higher by not losing any chips in this hand.

Calling is a rather poor choice in this spot. Main reason is if the SB or BB have anything they get in at a good price. Plus you are committing 1/4 of your chips. Whats the plan on the flop (assuming the blinds go away)? flop top pair? Push. Flop a flush draw? Push. flop comes 2-3-7r? Push and hope AK/AQ folds (assuming they don't lead into you all in)? What if the flop is A-hi and he moves in? You get the flop you want and you're still at a tough decision.

Shoving all in is better than calling. At least then your folding EQ is highest... although you have no reads, and I think you have to play assuming he is going to call.

Congrats on your accomplishment.