Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: GiftofGab, Spirit Rock, Hassan Slask etc.

[ QUOTE ]
you've watched these guys played, no-one has quanify the high limit no limit games online. you can't play like a rock to win at these games, that just won't work. ABC poker just doesn't work, and most books (no offence) recommend winning ABC poker.

LAG play dominates the Rocks, and I don't believe any writer on 2+2 (I havent' read all the books) advocates the LAG play seen by a lot of these top flight online players.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that LAG play dominates at these levels? It's more entertainin got be sure, but I don't think that we can make assumptions about what style is "dominant" or not at any level. As people have pointed out numerous times before, it's not about a static style, anyway. It's about being able to adjust to your situation. An inflexible LAG gets his ass handed to him in these games.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:04 AM

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago in Psychology.

Marlow
Old 08-10-2005, 10:07 AM

no, i meant complicity dickhead.

your rebuttal has nothing to do with my point.

my point:

smart people dont need to post on 2+2 or be involved in a poker community (wtf is that anyway?, 2+2 and other websites are the only poker communities i know of) to get good at poker.

you are really amazed prahland got as good as he did without posting here, i dont think its that big of a deal.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are over estimating the complicity of poker. its not rocket science for fucks sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll assume you mean complexity.

your answer is not relevant to my question. whether or not the game is complex does not matter when someone asks why players who dominate the most advanced games are typically self taught.

a simple rebuttal to your assertion is this: if the game is so simple, then you must be able to beat it at any level. if your winrate assertions are indeed true, then you have an adequate BR for 50/100. why are you not playing this game HU (another expectation improvement) all day long against the above players?

fim

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Have you watched H@LLingoll play? Have you watched Spirit Rock. Yes I understand that they play very flexibly. I guess there PF play is pretty laggy. I have stats on some of the bigger winners on Stars for instance for a few thousand hands I have xxjokerxx who is a heavy winning player in his stats I have having a 45% vpip at 10/20 NL. I guess that isn't lag play especially when the table he's at is mostly 8 or 9 handed. I'm a pretty big rail bird, maybe they aren't playing Laggy, but it seems like they are.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:09 AM

yeah, i am sure SR never read TOP or discussed a poker hand with anyone else in his life.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whether or not the game is complex does not matter when someone asks why players who dominate the most advanced games are typically self taught.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know this to be a fact why did you make this post?

I mean i don't know what kind of discussion you expect to have of this. At first I thought the point was to ask if this was true and now im just [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 AM

2+2 HE books concentrate 95% on full ring limit HE. TAG play still dominates there.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you've watched these guys played, no-one has quanify the high limit no limit games online. you can't play like a rock to win at these games, that just won't work. ABC poker just doesn't work, and most books (no offence) recommend winning ABC poker.

LAG play dominates the Rocks, and I don't believe any writer on 2+2 (I havent' read all the books) advocates the LAG play seen by a lot of these top flight online players.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that LAG play dominates at these levels? It's more entertainin got be sure, but I don't think that we can make assumptions about what style is "dominant" or not at any level. As people have pointed out numerous times before, it's not about a static style, anyway. It's about being able to adjust to your situation. An inflexible LAG gets his ass handed to him in these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

ray zee always seems non LAG. thank god SR never got a hold of him. ray would have gone broke.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if your winrate assertions are indeed true, then you have an adequate BR for 50/100. why are you not playing this game HU (another expectation improvement) all day long against the above players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there's a lot more to be made at lower levels?

[/ QUOTE ]

you know this is not the truth. the expectation for a non-tilted SR playing 50/100 is indeed higher than any PP10/20 player's.

fim
Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 AM

No, no. I'm not saying LAG is not effective, I'm just saying that it stands out. Harder to notice a conservative player who is a consistent winner.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:19 AM

diablo and bruiser are huge LAG's, which is why they are beating the game.