Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Volunteering

[ QUOTE ]
Also Diablo, I'm interested in that food packaging program you mentioned in your "things I like" category. Where can I find more info on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in a city of any size, there'll be a dedicated Food Bank. Also, churches and other groups run smaller food banks in both large and small communities.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 PM

i've done electrical work for several years now

do they sub contract electrical out or would i be useful.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been backacking in New Zealand the last few weeks but quite aimlessly and I haven't really done much. One thing that has struck me though is how well off I am in terms of money. Almost everyone else backpaking that I have met is on a tight budget.

Like on girl a couple days ago told me she has been in New Zealand 4 months and hasn't eaten in a restaurant once. Or anoter girl from Israel who came here for a 6 month trip with about 5k and she bought a car when she ot here with a friend for 1k and it broke down immeadiately which was really a lot of money for her to lose and she cried. Or on the airplane someone from Columbia who had friends who were married I forget how much they made per year but right out of college it was $6,000 or $12,000 and they both worked for 3 years saving everything they had to go on a vacation.

I'm going to Europe soon for some poker touranments but will stay there after those are done, and given the fact that I am aimless and given the fact that there are poor people that I feel sorry for and want to help if I can I'd like to try volunteering. What experiences have people had who have voluntered? What sort of volunteering can I do and how should I go about this, any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

i had very similar experiences travelling abroad. in turn, one summer i did the whole summer in costa rica.

i volunteered at the monteverde research center in the rain forest for 2 weeks. did trail work on mt. chirripo for 2 weeks. and then for 4 weeks our group lived in a very poor villiage and provided free labor while living with the families there. they were so nice and appreciative for our help. we laid a concrete foundation for them and constructed quite large signs to post on the highway and dirt road that lead to the tiny town of San Vicente so that they could sell their beautiful pottery...

clearly, this is more of a specialized thing. so in general, helping those less fortunate with either day to day living things, or something like that will do wonders for them...

i wish i could give you more specific information. but i hope that'll give you some ideas...

-Barron
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 PM

Like on girl a couple days ago told me she has been in New Zealand 4 months and hasn't eaten in a restaurant once. Or anoter girl from Israel who came here for a 6 month trip with about 5k and she bought a car when she ot here with a friend for 1k and it broke down immeadiately which was really a lot of money for her to lose and she cried.

dude, you better be getting laid.

btw, on a serious note. you seem like a good person, and i mean that.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:36 AM

I am thinking of doing this thing, http://www.teaching-abroad.co.uk/destinations/index.php

where should I go?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

where should I go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chile - Chilean chicks are hot.
India - India is an incredible country. It can be tough for foreigners, though. Many incredibly beautiful Indian women.
Australia - Hot chicks. Speak English.
Mexico - Spanish is useful as you said. Also hot Mexican chicks. Also, lucha libre wrestling.
Peru - Peruvian chicks are hot.
Romania - Lots of hot Eastern European chicks.
Russia - Lots of hot Russian chicks.

Those are the countries I'm familiar with on that list.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of doing this thing, http://www.teaching-abroad.co.uk/destinations/index.php

where should I go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peru is pretty sweet. And, as Diablo said, the chicks are hot.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:38 AM

I kind of like Mexico because they speak Spanish which if I learnt I could use in many places of the world and also because I'd really like to start playing soccer again and Mexico is big on soccer. But it's hot there which I don't like, and I don't even know what Mexicans look like, do they look weird?
Old 02-26-2005, 01:42 AM

Damn maybe I need to start a new thread to get people's attention on this question.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of like Mexico because they speak Spanish which if I learnt I could use in many places of the world and also because I'd really like to start playing soccer again and Mexico is big on soccer. But it's hot there which I don't like, and I don't even know what Mexicans look like, do they look weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a handful of great posts, then you ask what Mexicans look like. Do they look weird? WTF is wrong with you?

Anyway, there are lots of really hot Mexican chicks. That's all you need to know.