Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: HUGE flop

I couldn't disagree with Leptyne's assessment more.

a) 9s full of 8s is the nuts on the flop, hate to break it to you.
b) Villain is a clearly a suspected blind thief, which makes sense because hero what letting him do it while waiting for the right hand. So no, his call doesnt necessarily mean that villain has anything.
c) Pretty much not a single card in the deck "kill the action" as we will be counting on the thief to make a bluff here. Someone that is in the habit of pickin up pots with pf bluffs is probably also used to using scare cards against people that call them. I think a high card or a three flush if it is present will only help induce the bluff.

Could be wrong of course, but I think you are off the mark.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM

checking the flop as the pre-flop re-raiser is HIGHLY suspicious

he is going to check behind a good % of the time

he knows people are going to start playing back at him if hes doing this often, so we want to get money in the pot while we still can, like if he has JJ-22, we want to keep betting before any overcards hit, so he can "snap off" our AK bluff

i cant believe im even saying this again i already made this exact post so im gonna stop right here
Old 11-14-2005, 02:47 PM

My thinking is that he is unpaired here more often than he is paired. I think any additional cards on the board will help. I'm looking for him to pair a hole card or pick up a draw to second best that will convince him to take another shot at it. Because he is unpaired more often means this situation will more than ofset the times where he has some random pair and loses courage and folds to an overcard. MAYBE a half-pot bet would work, but the huge pf raise unfortunately makes even a half-pot a pretty daunting call for a mediocre hand like I think villain has. I dont think you want to be throwing a healthy, normal sized CB out there tho, that's definitely tapping the tank.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't disagree with Leptyne's assessment more.

a) 9s full of 8s is the nuts on the flop, hate to break it to you.
b) Villain is a clearly a suspected blind thief, which makes sense because hero what letting him do it while waiting for the right hand. So no, his call doesnt necessarily mean that villain has anything.
c) Pretty much not a single card in the deck "kill the action" as we will be counting on the thief to make a bluff here. Someone that is in the habit of pickin up pots with pf bluffs is probably also used to using scare cards against people that call them. I think a high card or a three flush if it is present will only help induce the bluff.

Could be wrong of course, but I think you are off the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) Exactly, "nuts on the flop". If villain has any pair AA-TT then the flopped boat may loose at showdown.

b) When villain calls a re-raise with 10% of his stack he probably does not have a trash hand like J9o or 72o. To me this 10% is one of the keys. Villain is on a steal and Hero can raise with any two, but it takes a better hand to call this raise than it does to make the raise. Villain is a thief, but that doesn't make him a donk.

c) Villain can bluff the flop, or semi-bluff, or snap-off a bluff by Hero. If all the money doesn't get in on the flop what does an A or K on the turn do to villains snap-off? Because of the Gap Theory Hero is more likely to have JTs or 76s so Q or 5,J,7 may cause villain to re-think his bluff, semi-bluff, or snap-off.

Of course the best-case scenario would be for villain to have 88. Second best would be for him to have a draw and hit it on the turn.

The question is how do you extract the most money from villain.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM

What would you do here with AK?

Because that's what you should do now.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah with ak you want a slightly bigger bet that says you aren't going anywhere if he gets cute.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM

If the guy is that aggressive, I'd check it. If he bets, I'd probably smooth call and allow him to get a card that hopefully improves him. I want this guy to bluff his chips off (I'm assuming that is the type of player he is) and I'm going to give him opportunities to do so.

If the guy is good enough and you have a read that he'd pick up on your check after the pre-flop raise as a sign of strength, then bet. Otherwise, I'm walking the dog and hopes he picks up something on the way.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:03 PM

I'm surprised at the number of people saying check. To me, there is nothing more suspicious than a PF reraise and then a check on the flop. If I'm villain here I check behind 100% of the time.

I say make a standard CB of about 2/3 the pot and hope he calls you with AK or a PP.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:18 PM

A lot is based on the read. The guy is a thief, he likes to bluff, I'm going to let him bluff and maybe he'll even catch up on the way.

This came up the other night, I had AQ and threw a standard PFR. Flopped AAQ against a big-time bluffing thief who had no respect for pre-flop raisers. I checked, he checked. He paired his J on the turn and made a bet. I called. Then he decided to bluff all his chips off on the river, insta-call.