Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: RAYMER...not so good?

Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 AM

nh
Old 06-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Greg,

Ignore the critics!

BTW I hope we have the chance to speak nexr time you are in AC. I missed you last time because you were busy talking to the Taj floor guys and the tournament had started back up.

Best wishes
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 PM

I’ve only read the original post and Raymer’s reply but since I’ve played with Raymer on 3 occasions I figured I’d give my opinion.

The first time I played with Greg dates back a couple of years and was my first time playing in the 5-5 pot limit holdem game at Foxwoods. I immediately noticed greg because he had far and away the largest stack at the table (mostly cash). He seemed to play in every pot and was both winning and losing some big ones. I had a hard time figuring out whether raymer was just a maniac or a calculating / winning player. By the end of the session I decided on the latter.

The second time I played with Greg, he sat to my left. We were both pretty deep (he was far deeper than i)…When I was in the SB I reraised a late position raiser with AA. Raymer studied long and hard before mucking his hand. When I showed the table my hand raymer seemed disappointed that he hadn’t called with his 4-5 suited. He said Aces are exactly the hand he wanted to be against with his hand. That comment hammered home the concept of implied odds in NLHE for me.

I was also very impressed in my final session with him, a very short 10-25nlhe session I played with Raymer (since the WSOP). I have since also read all of Raymer’s archived 2+2 posts and one thing is clear…Dude know’s what he’s talking about….I’ve spoken to many of the very good NLHE players at foxwoods that have played with him and the consensus seems to be that he’s a hell of a player.

The only real negative I see in Raymer’s game is his willingness to talk strategy at the table and possibly his ego (which he constantly defends on this forum). That said, he seems to have great money management and game selection skills, and I doubt he’d play above his head. Even before he was famous watching greg play and listening to him at the table made me a better player. For that, I am greatful!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM

From what I have seen at Foxwoods: Greg generally did quite well in the live No-Limit games a few years ago (that being the time period when I was sometimes playing in those games).
Old 06-23-2005, 11:44 PM

I generally believe about 5% of what I hear in a card room.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally believe about 5% of what I hear in a card room.

[/ QUOTE ]

One has to be able to recognize excellence before one can make comments about it. Kind of like an algebra student proffering opinions on quantum mechanics.

How many of the FW regulars can truly do that?

A handfull, IMO.....Based upon what I know about the players there.....around 5-10% seems right.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 AM

Guess he really is a sucker