Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Ingrown toenail

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had one of these before? I have one on my left big toe, and it's been around for at least a couple months now. I'm keeping it clean, and it'll get better for a couple weeks, but then come right on back. Any suggestions on how to take care of this damn thing?

I don't really want surgery either. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Need pics please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. This could be arranged...
Old 09-08-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had one of these before? I have one on my left big toe, and it's been around for at least a couple months now. I'm keeping it clean, and it'll get better for a couple weeks, but then come right on back. Any suggestions on how to take care of this damn thing?

I don't really want surgery either. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Need pics please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. This could be arranged...

[/ QUOTE ]

K Thx.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:06 PM

I used to have a bad problem with this (starting when I was like 8 years old) on both sides of my big toes. They would always be bloody and pussy and hurt like hell. When I was like 16 or 17 I went to a foot doctor, they first took a look, told me I was a candidate to have the surgery.

Came back like a week later, gave me some novocaine (this hurt a bit as they put a needle directly in the inflamed skin) then cut down to side all the way to the root on both sides of both toes. After he removed the nail, he put some sort of solution down inside my toe to stop the nail from ever growing back. Havn't had a problem since.

I must add one of the toes hurt a lot when it was being cut out because the novocaine didn't work properly because my toe was infected and above working temperature of the novocaine so that did hurt a bit, but the procedure is DEFINITELY worth having if you are in constant pain.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:26 PM

So you don't have a nail on your big toe?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 AM

No I have nails on both my toes, but the sides of the nails have been cut out. My toes are a bit different shaped than the normal toe to begin with, but now I just sort of have this area on the very side of my toe with no nail covering it, which is fine.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 PM

I have an issue with hand/toe nails. I can not stand long nails. If everyone had to put what would drive them nuts all day, this would be on my top 3 list. I keep all my nails just down right to where the physical skin stops with the nail. All 10 nails I have are just cut down as short as they can reasonably go.

An ingrown toe nail, esp if its a bad one, will only get worse. You might think it will eventually heal but it will continue to become more painful. I had my big toe once get a bad one, to where the skin was trying to regrow across the entire left side of the nail. Since it was full pink skin, it was impossible to cut the skin off to get to the nail (too much pain from the nerves). I went to the doctor, he gave me the shot, he cut out that beast in 10 min. I looked at it afterwards, that cut out was massive. If you are in physical pain (as in a brief touch by your finger will cause horrid pain on your foot) get it fixed instantly. After the procedure it will heal quickly, and you will feel so much better.

A tip to see how bad the nail grown into the skin, try using a toothpick to see where the nail has gone. And use neosporin constantly.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A tip to see how bad the nail grown into the skin, try using a toothpick to see where the nail has gone. And use neosporin constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been keeping it clean better and have been using Neosporin a lot in the past few days. The difference is remarkable. It looked terrible a few days back, but now it's feeling better and is looking more normal again.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:16 PM

You can soak it in peroxide too.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know a girl who just almost lost her big toe to an ingrown nail. In the end, she didn't have to get it amputated, but she lost the nail and was in a cast-like thing for a month+.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of skank would let a nail get so bad?

you have filthy friends

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine what her snatch was like [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to have a bad problem with this (starting when I was like 8 years old) on both sides of my big toes. They would always be bloody and pussy and hurt like hell. When I was like 16 or 17 I went to a foot doctor, they first took a look, told me I was a candidate to have the surgery.

Came back like a week later, gave me some novocaine (this hurt a bit as they put a needle directly in the inflamed skin) then cut down to side all the way to the root on both sides of both toes. After he removed the nail, he put some sort of solution down inside my toe to stop the nail from ever growing back. Havn't had a problem since.

I must add one of the toes hurt a lot when it was being cut out because the novocaine didn't work properly because my toe was infected and above working temperature of the novocaine so that did hurt a bit, but the procedure is DEFINITELY worth having if you are in constant pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this done on one side for my big toe when I was 17 or so. The lidocane (lidacane?) didn't work for [censored], so he had to inject it like 4 or 5 more times before I let me cut it. My nail is still kinda [censored] up, in that there is an obvious difference between my old nail and where they cut (like a seam that has normal toe on one side, and slightly whiter nail on the other side).

This was 6 years ago.

Freakin