Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: artificial poker player

Sure, a poker client is installed. You seem to be implying that it scans for other processes running on the hard drive, and then communicates it back to the company through, for example, the partypoker.exe application. That method would be technically complicated, easily circumvented, and not terribly ethical on their part. Feel free to explain the process by which you what would work(2nd time I've asked the question); I have a pretty good handle on information security and can handle the technical speak.

By comparison, looking at users for bot-like behavior would be a much more efficient way to track down cheaters.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:22 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if winning poker bots are developed, distributed, and are able to evade anti-bot measures by sites they will completely ruin internet poker.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:44 PM

They can not detect what other programs are running on your PC. Number 1, wouldn't that be like hacking into your comp.?
It is unethical and it is illegal, but they cannot see all the programs you are running.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be implying that it scans for other processes running on the hard drive, and then communicates it back to the company through, for example, the partypoker.exe application

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how it works.

I have personal experience with this and can verify it.

-Ben
Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 PM

Please verify it it. You can PM me if this is a sensitive topic.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:43 PM

Honestly, If they are able to scan your hard drive, how many people wold play? They are breaking the law if they are scanning your hard drive. I don't recall anything in any disclaimer saying " yor hard drive information can be accesed". They don't do it.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone give me an advice if there is a common program that simulates a poker player and that keeps playin hands? I thought about letting a program play hands at low limit holdem for me while im at work.I just wanted to know if the poker sites are able to detect this and if such a program can beat an average low limit holdem table.

Any advice or link would be helpful

[/ QUOTE ]

I also had a question. Does anyone know of any common program that will just run on my computer and make money while I sleep/work etc...I would think if someone had access to this software they would want to give it to some guy who posted on an internet forum. I know this is a poker forum, but to be honest I don't care if this software is poker related. As long as I just install it and it generates free money for me that's fine.
One more thing- I'm a complete moron.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:00 PM

They aren't scanning your hard drive -- no reason to do that.

Hit ctrl-alt-del on your computer. It brings up the "task monitor". This shows all the processes currently running in your computers memory. (Programs don't run on your hard drive -- they are loaded and execute in MEMORY). Do you think that MicroSoft is the only thing that can perform this magic? No one else can or would be able to determine what processes are running in your computers memory?

You have downloaded the poker client software onto your machine. It has to know what is going on in memory anyways. How do you think it knows that you have moved your mouse pointer to location X,Y and clicked? ESP? It transmits your mouse clicks and key strokes back to the server (obtained from scanning memory) already, it is not hard to also transmit the other process names that are running.

So if the server detects that you are also running a process called "Computer Robot Version 1.1" -- it will know.

Review your user license agreement you accepted when you downloaded the software. You have agreed to this already, so there is nothing illegal about it.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:04 PM

Processes don't run on the hard drive -- they run in memory.
Let me know if this is too technical for you.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:27 PM

OK, obviously I am not a computer guru, but from what you just said, it sounds like it can see the other programs, but can it tell what they do? For example, if I run Microsoft word, can they see the files in my Microsoft Word program, or what the current aplication is doing, like if I am typing a document.
I understand what you are saying now and it sounds pretty reasonable, but now I am more curious.
Thanks for the info, I can now say I learned something new today.