Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Recess appointment stinks to high heaven

I agree, you dont see many liberals on this site ever citizise their own party in any way, they have been addicted to the Kool-Aid for too long.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, plus one or two RINOs (Republicans In Name Only).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, is Trent Lott a "RINO"?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but this sort of appointment power was meant to be used in the case where there is a pressing need for an ambassador

[/ QUOTE ]

That goes along with my thinking. The Republicans are trying to play it both ways: The UN is powerless (therefore this is a meaningless appointment anyway) while at the same time arguing that this appointment is so important that a recss appointment is required.

All in all, it won't matter to the vast majority of people one way or the other on this one.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Trent Lott

Trent Lott is a special case. He is a VERY bitter man after resigning his position as the Majority Leader in the senate. When Trent Lott stuck his foot in his mouth, the Bush admistration sat back on the sidelines refusing help. To make things worse, the Bush43 admin made statements that pretty much forced Lott from his leadership post. Trent Lott feels he was betrayed by the Bush43 admin. Bottom line, Lott wants his job back and he looks for ways to oppose the Bush admin without alienating the republican base.

Personally I'm glad Lott is gone. He was largely responsible for the bipartisan "sharing" of senate committee chairs with the democrats. When Jim Jeffords defected to the democrats, did the democrats return the favor? HELL NO! They kicked out all the republican chairs taking all this power for themselves. Trent Lott is a politically naive fool who got out-maneuvered by the democrats time-and-time again. Ironically when the democrats demonized Lott over his Strom Thurmond remarks they did the republicans a favor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also John Thume (R. SD) opposed Bolton. Why? The Bush Admin wanted to close a SD airforce base. I sympathize with Thune. He NARROWLY defeated Tom Dascle and the Bush43 admin puts a SD military base on their hit list. I am for closing military bases to save defense money but SOMETIMES you need to play politics. Giving the newly elected Thume a political victory would do much to keep his senate seat Republican. Instead the Bush43 gives Thune a MAJOR politcal defeat. This is TERRIBLE politics. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Fortunately for the Republicans, the Democrats make even more political mistakes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Trent Lott

[ QUOTE ]
Trent Lott is a special case. He is a VERY bitter man after resigning his position as the Majority Leader in the senate. When Trent Lott stuck his foot in his mouth, the Bush admistration sat back on the sidelines refusing help. To make things worse, the Bush43 admin made statements that pretty much forced Lott from his leadership post. Trent Lott feels he was betrayed by the Bush43 admin. Bottom line, Lott wants his job back and he looks for ways to oppose the Bush admin without alienating the republican base.

Personally I'm glad Lott is gone. He was largely responsible for the bipartisan "sharing" of senate committee chairs with the democrats. When Jim Jeffords defected to the democrats, did the democrats return the favor? HELL NO! They kicked out all the republican chairs taking all this power for themselves. Trent Lott is a politically naive fool who got out-maneuvered by the democrats time-and-time again. Ironically when the democrats demonized Lott over his Strom Thurmond remarks they did the republicans a favor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also John Thume (R. SD) opposed Bolton. Why? The Bush Admin wanted to close a SD airforce base. I sympathize with Thune. He NARROWLY defeated Tom Dascle and the Bush43 admin puts a SD military base on their hit list. I am for closing military bases to save defense money but SOMETIMES you need to play politics. Giving the newly elected Thume a political victory would do much to keep his senate seat Republican. Instead the Bush43 gives Thune a MAJOR politcal defeat. This is TERRIBLE politics. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Fortunately for the Republicans, the Democrats make even more political mistakes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So any Republican who does not support Mr. Bolton's nomination has an axe to grind, or is a "RINO". Makes perfect sense.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:53 PM

What alternative do you propose?

We are in a deadlock now, I only see three options:

1) Status Quo- no Ambassador at all
2) Recess Appointment
3) Revoke Bolton, and put in another nominee.

Do you have some alternative that is better? What SHOULD GWB do?

What the Democrats are doing here is like someone who walks on slippery floors in the supermarket, hoping to fall and hurt themselves, so they can blame the supermarket. They won't let Bolton get a vote, not so they can prevent him from doing the job, but simply to make Bush look bad when he appoints him.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Actually, I think Option 3 would be what I would suggest...then, if the Dems continue to object, you would have the political muscle to claim that they are being obstructionist. Simply trying to bowl them over with the same candidate is like someone trying to sell their one-bedroom shack for a million dollars and refusing to budge on the price.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:47 PM

So any Republican who does not support Mr. Bolton's nomination has an axe to grind, or is a "RINO".
No, those are your words. Not mine.
The gang of 14 encompasses the seven republican RINOS. My example of Thune and Lott were to illustrate there were other factors other than Bolton's qualifications in opposing him.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am for closing military bases to save defense money but SOMETIMES you need to play politics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ick. I don't like this statement at all. It's justification for wasteful spending. And it's just plain favoritism over common sense. If the military doesn't need an air base in SD, then there shouldn't be one there.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:00 AM

I only make infrequent forays into the Politics forum but for those who remember any of my posts, you know I am not a fan of the President.

But I applaud him for using the recess appointment. I remember when Clinton nominated Bill Weld to be ambassador to Mexico. Although Weld was a Republican, Jesse Helms hated him, wouldn't even meet with him on a courtesy call.

So Helms, who chaired the committee that had to report out the nomination, singled handedly blocked it. I deparately wanted Clinton to use the recess appointment to equalize the abuse of power by this old fart but he wouldn't do it.

So if one side uses the "rules" in their favor I see no reason why the other side shouldn't be able to counter. All's fair in Love and War . . . and Politics.