Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: My Point About Quadrillions of Stars

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"For instance, all the planets stars etc. coexist just to keep life on Earth possible."

But that cannot be. How dare you have opinions about this stuff without knowing basic physics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I have an opinion per se, but please enlighten me as to why my question above is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things exist in the universe that are farther away from earth than the speed of light could have travelled in the age of the universe. Nothing travels faster than light including information for obvious reasons. The rest should be clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is what you thought I was saying David?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:13 AM

That was my point. Yes.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:16 AM

"I think you've shifted on this a bit, but in any case at least you've clarified that you don't now have the position I thought you did. Bravo.

As to aliens, etc., I take no position. There may be no other life forms or millions. However many there are, God is a just and loving God to all."

I haven't shifted my position. As to your second paragraph, I think you've shifted on this a bit, but in any case at least you've clarified that you don't now have the position I thought you did. Bravo.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:22 AM

Sure you haven't switched position, but is it good?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I think you've shifted on this a bit, but in any case at least you've clarified that you don't now have the position I thought you did. Bravo.

As to aliens, etc., I take no position. There may be no other life forms or millions. However many there are, God is a just and loving God to all."

I haven't shifted my position. As to your second paragraph, I think you've shifted on this a bit, but in any case at least you've clarified that you don't now have the position I thought you did. Bravo.

[/ QUOTE ]

David's and NotReady's positions are so far apart that regardless of how much they shift, the age of the universe is not long enough for photons of light to pass between them.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-25-2005, 03:44 AM

You are farther from Not Ready than I am.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are farther from Not Ready than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Your baloney does not Quite reach all the way from top to bottom.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-25-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was my point. Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, I mean't that I wonder if the Universe is all connected so as life on Earth is only possible if other things exist which in turn rely on other things, etc etc.

Here's a news story which is sort of what I think about:

[ QUOTE ]

Meteors 'may have jump-started life'

Meteor strikes may have led to the extinction of some life on Earth, but a new study says they may have also contributed to the creation of life.

Geologists researching the crater left when the Haughton meteor slammed into what is now Canada's Arctic 23 million years ago found the impact created hydrothermal springs in the cracked rock and other conditions that would have made it easier for microbes to survive and evolve.

According to some theories, the impact of a meteor hitting the Earth may have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Researchers say the impact sparked huge fires and a gigantic dust cloud.

"Most people put impacts with mass extinction... what we're trying to say is that following the impact, the impact sites are actually more favourable than the surrounding terrain," Gordon Osinski, of the Canadian Space Agency, said.

Researchers also found that in addition to hydrothermal springs, meteor impacts would have allowed microbes easier access to minerals in a protected environment.

Mr Osinski says that the heaviest meteor bombardment of Earth happened about 3.8 billion years ago, around the same time that life on the planet is believed to have started.

The researchers reported their study at a joint meeting of the Geological Society of America and the Geological Association of Canada.

The Haughton crater on Devon Island in Canada's Nunavut Territory is often used by researchers looking at methods to aid the search for life on Mars.

- Reuters

[/ QUOTE ]

So what if by direct contact life can be created/destroyed, and by indirect contact it can be sustained? What if one thing relies on another elsewhere for survival unbeknown to it?

I guess this is sort of like "Chaos Theory"/Butterfly Effect, but I don't know.

Also, I think it was a little strong to say 'how dare I have an opinion' over this without knowing the basics of physics. I assume that was a payback remark pseudo-mirroring the times I said you should read the Bible for yourself rather than rely on second hand information. (although I don't ever remember having such a blunt tone, if I did I apologize)

Cheers,
SDM

PS - in my original post I should have used the word 'wonder' rather than 'ponder'.