Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Hmm, not sure. Do I suck? KQo

Thanks Nate,

Most of my concern was about my river play. I would defenately raise the K or A of clubs.

I did win the hand, he had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Guido
Old 04-30-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: I don\'t buy it - and here\'s why

Most poker writers agree that if you're running bad, it's best to play a little more conservatively than you normally would.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:45 AM

I don't think it's a little in this case. I think you have to play as good as you can and when you can't beat a game you should quite most of the time.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 05-01-2004, 09:01 AM

That's a smart attitude. I'm thinking now that I'm probably wrong about this particular hand, at least for you. My style is more cautious in certain spots, but that may be a hole in my game for all I know. Peace--
Old 05-01-2004, 10:27 AM

Well the one key factor here, online or off, is that most low limit players play ridiculously badly. While in live games, generally players will chop here, even in time games, online they will limp in for a bargain in the small blind, so there's a good chance your hand is better. Many will do this, call your raise, then fold if they miss the flop. Gotta love that kind of player. And position is a nice advantage against a bad opponent -- he hasn't layed much heads up either, in all likelihood. So if you bet the flop and he calls, you can take a free card onthe turn against typical passive players who will call down with any piece of the flop but won't bet it. So you get two free chances to hit your hand. And, as a bonus, your opponent will probably pay you off if you do hit and bet. Against these types of low limit calling station opponents, you can often have the best situation when you miss -- they won't charge you -- and when you hit -- they will pay you off. NOW against better opponents like some of those you play in your higher limit short games, you won't have these kinds of advantages, so raising can be more problematic.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:43 AM

That may be the answer here - I'm used to a different data set and somewhat tougher opponents. (Dope slap to forehead.)