Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: The definitive bad session benchmark

Diablo did not read chapter 9.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:17 PM

How rude, it's his first post. Couldn't you have said;

[ QUOTE ]
This is bad advice. Welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost Wages
Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 PM

90BB in 2.5 hours? Weak.

Lets talk about 100BB in an hour. Or when you can go a week asking "what's it feel like to flop a set?" When every time you open raise lightly you get 3-bet and then whiff on the flop, and every time you open strong you win some blinds or else get raped in a huge pot.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:02 PM

Thanks for this. I'm feeling mopey about a 10,000 hand breakeven streak at 10/20, this made me feel a little better.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In that period, I flopped 10 sets. My net earn over those ten sets was -$1200. I lost 8 of them. All 8 were multiway pots and I always flopped the best hand. The two times I won were heads-up. I should have lost even more, since when I had AA v. 99 capped pre-flop and capped on the A59 flop, 99 didn't raise again on the deuce turn and 8Ts didn't raise the river when he made his flush!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was definitely the guy with T8s here. I don't know why I didn't raise the river...maybe put you on AsKs. I've been running terrible in that game as well so I usually just assume I'm beat most of the time.

You're welcome though.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
90BB in 2.5 hours? Weak.

Lets talk about 100BB in an hour. Or when you can go a week asking "what's it feel like to flop a set?" When every time you open raise lightly you get 3-bet and then whiff on the flop, and every time you open strong you win some blinds or else get raped in a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. I'm surprised ElDiablo would title the post the way he did. What he describes is nothing more than a typical bad couple of hours in a night at Party Poker. Common occurence if you play a lot. At least for me! (Maybe I just have the worst luck in the world.)

What Schneids is talking about, that's the nasty stuff, and it can go on for days. Days where you lose almost every hand you play, and not for small pots. Days on end where you miss nearly every straight and flush draw, and the handful you hit over a 10k+ hand stretch are for the smallest pots you can imagine. Where your only hope of winning is with AA or KK because you miss every flop, and you start to become afraid of every hand you "have" to play, unless it's AA, and even that you are beginning to have your doubts about. And let's not even bring up how every hand you have dominated hits that 3 outer on you.

Theses are times when you'd kill to just dump 90BB's and be done with it. Because let's face it, it's more than the down size, it's how long you are down for. You go four or five days without winning anything and still you are in a multi hundred BB downswing, you start to wonder how you ever beat this game to begin with.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets talk about 100BB in an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that.

[ QUOTE ]
Or when you can go a week asking "what's it feel like to flop a set?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that.

[ QUOTE ]
When every time you open raise lightly you get 3-bet and then whiff on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that.

[ QUOTE ]
and every time you open strong you win some blinds or else get raped in a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that.

The amount here was definitely not all that noteworthy. It was the manner in which this loss occurred that was so crazy. Losing 8 out of 10 sets that were all the best hand on the flop is something that has never happened to me before. I'm sure someday I'll lose 10 out of 10 sets, so I'm not really worried about it. Every time I have a crazier loss, I just chalk it up to experience and then get back to winning. That was the point here.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was definitely the guy with T8s here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:23 PM

positive. flame away.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been running terrible in that game

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
positive. flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if your normal play includes getting involved in pots that are capped pre-flop w/ T8s and then not raising when you make your flush, I suspect that "running terrible" might not be your main problem in that game.