Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: ACLU to sue to force Gay indoctrination at schools

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but a "tolerance training video" is designed specifically to teach our children how to think

[/ QUOTE ]

Schools teach tolerance so that the atmosphere of the school is such that the three r's can be learned by all types of kids. Students distracted by irrational intollerance of their peers don't tend to do well in school, they are outcast and don't succeed. Schools that don't have such programs are doing a disservice to their students.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you how effective these programs are? Go to a high school, almost any high school, and check it out.

A video is going to especially uncompelling. You are not going to be able to force kids to sit through a one-hour tolerance video when they have more important things going on, like lunch, hanging out, and sex (jk, the lunch part is true tho).

PS. Forgot Halo 2 and sleep (depending on when exactly the video is). That's more important than a video to many kids.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Students distracted by irrational intollerance of their peers don't tend to do well in school

I know a way to accomplish this without a "tolerance" video. It's called strict discipline. What schools need are teachers and adminstrators with the balls to discipline disruptive students. *Why* they are being disruptive should be irrelevant for the purpose of controlling the classroom.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:06 PM

Hmm.... Interesting. Maybe I'd have gotten more than a hour of detention for swearing at the associate principal, and more than a letter home for telling my evil math teacher to "[censored] off."

Though, you can't expect administrators to be everywhere. Offensive and hurtful jokes are always cracked, and I've been on both ends on that. Kids are smart enough to get away with that, even under administrators or teachers noses, not to mention away from teachers and admins, so you can't expect to enforce it well.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally wouldn't mind schools having a chapter about gay sex in sex education classes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea.

Yes, that's correct Timmy, if you love your best friend Billy then you should lube up his a$$hole and then shove your cokc in. And Sally you're gonna want to "fist" Lucy because you are clearly a lesbian. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2004, 04:07 PM

I don't think stricter discipline will solve this problem. Kids will harrass kids who are different, and the school will catch - has the time to catch - only a fraction of those. Also, this kind of thing will also crack down harder on kids who are acting out in class because they are uncomfortable outside of class - sometimes due to harassment.

I agree that a video won't fix the situation. Kids need administrators, parents and teachers who are tolerant and expect them to be. They need to support of individual staff. It won't do any good if the teacher is telling the kids, "Ok guys, time to go see this gay butt-love video cause those Volvo fascist kwars in the ACLU said so."

NT
Old 12-05-2004, 05:14 PM

Kids will harrass kids who are different, and the school will catch - has the time to catch - only a fraction of those.

I understand that, but that's not the job of the school. The job of the school is to teach the subjects, a job they are not doing as well as they used to. They catch what they catch, deal with the offenders and go back to doing their primary job.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:33 PM

I see you are still a moron. Can't you just stop posting and let the adults speak?

Have're you doing on the bet, btw?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I see you are still a moron. Can't you just stop posting and let the adults speak?

Have're you doing on the bet, btw?
I could prolly answer this if I knew what the hell Have're means. Maybe its Swedish for "I'm a flaming piece of dog shyt"
Old 12-05-2004, 10:46 PM

A video is probably not effective. However, a school that has an open and tolerant atmosphere, an atmosphere that is present not just in the 1-hour per semester watching the video does make a difference. You are never going to eliminate intollerance. However, you might succeed in reducing its grasp and, therefore, mitigating its effects.

[ QUOTE ]
Go to a high school, almost any high school, and check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked in the Dean's office of a high school for a while. The problem is getting better on most fronts. Much better than it was, for example, when I was in high school (which wasn't that much earlier than when I worked at the same high school.)
Old 12-05-2004, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
know a way to accomplish this without a "tolerance" video. It's called strict discipline

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an either/or proposition. Strict discipline without working to cure the underlying problem doesn't do much. I'm curious how the libertarian-disciplinarian would handle a situation where kids are being picked on because, for example, their parents are poor. The teasing is very distracting to the child and his/her grades are slipping. The teasers, for lack of a better term, aren't really breaking any rules (assume no physical violence or profanity.)

How would you discipline them? On what grounds?

[ QUOTE ]
*Why* they are being disruptive should be irrelevant for the purpose of controlling the classroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just silly. Of course it's relevant and by addressing the core issues instead of solely using the band-aid of tough discipline you can prevent future problems.