Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: How can I be down 60BB in 6 hours?!!!

some days are good some days are bad, as long as you don't tilt and make bad decisions you will be ok.

now a 30 BB is a small swing, actually it isn't even really considered a swing since it is so small, but damnit it is kinda scary since I just started 2/4. I'm still a little tilted, but having read this thread reminded me of how common small 30-60 BB swings are and it happens to everyone. I am sure you will pull out of it and eventually have a big upswing to make up for the small downswings.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 AM

I'm almost positive you are weaktight, both preflop, and definetly postflop, you might have had a bad run of cards but I doubt thats even half of the story

gt123 the first stat line = running good, the second line is tough, it could be just variance, it could be bad postflop play, a little mix .. it could be a average card run and you aren't a winning 2/4 player as of right now

but its 600ish hands far from conclusive
Old 07-04-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm almost positive you are weaktight, both preflop, and definetly postflop, you might have had a bad run of cards but I doubt thats even half of the story

gt123 the first stat line = running good, the second line is tough, it could be just variance, it could be bad postflop play, a little mix .. it could be a average card run and you aren't a winning 2/4 player as of right now

but its 600ish hands far from conclusive

[/ QUOTE ]

of course the first stat is running good. Felt like I couldn't lose a hand W$SD60% [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Second one I am sure I tilted a lot of it away when the hot streak ended. I found myself calling down waaayy too much and started thinking everyone was bluffing me at 2/4 since everyone is so damn aggressive there.

Yes, the sample size is too small. I actually wanted to swap 2/4 sessions hand history with someone to see what I am doing right or wrong.

Just wanted to show the OP that upswings and downswings happen, and also to show off my big upswing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm honest.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also down badly after the weekend on PP... is there a chance perhaps that the good players have dropped down to the 0.5/1 tables to clear their July bonus?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Bonus clears faster at 1/2, and most of the decent .5/1 players are raping the new 6 max tables. The full ring is as soft as ever.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:45 AM

I just got Turbo Texas Holdem, and have played my usual game against all the usual game-types (Loose Aggfressive, very loose, Tight Passive, etc etc).

I'm up overall on all of them (but hand counts still only in the hundreds on each - but I'm planning to play each table-type over 30-40K hands), but I've had huge downswings too.

With TTH, you get to zip through loads of hands very quickly, and it's really illuminating how luck/variance can set you on a big downswing, but if you stay consistent, it picks up again (if the strategy's good). Ten bad hands are often picked up from by 1-2 good hands, for example.

I'd recommend getting it or something similar to help you see and experience variance quickly and realistically, but without risk.

Even after a few days of using this, I seem to have shaken off any possibility of tilting in live games, as I've got a much better feel for how variance bites. I shrug off being rivered out of 15BB by a 4-outer where I've been betting hard since preflop, no problem now. Twice or three times in a row per session riles me, but I don't tilt!

I'd recommend trying this to anyone. It really helps.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:56 AM

Sometimes I go down 60xBB in an hour or less. Before I've even kicked my shoes off and settled in for the session. Play solid aggressive poker and screw the results. 20k+ hands a month I should have at least a couple 100xBB swings maybe a 200 if I'm using good game selection.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:45 AM

I have been playing probably 200+ hours at 0.5/1$ FL.
The downswing (60BB over some hours) has happened at least
4 times for me. during those 200 hours. The first time it happened(was 100BB) I took it very seriously (too seriously). Now I have learned to deal with it.
It just happens... Bankroll is up again, and then some.

But it could also be that your opponents have learned
your playstyle. When they have played against you in several
session, their poker-tracker database will tell them you
play ultra tight. With this knowledge they will not
call your bet/raises unless they they also have a very good starting hand.

Actually I have notes on people that I see play SSHE by the book, and I know how to play against them. (bascially just
saving me money by folding a lot more against them. And milking them when I hit something).

Randomize you play more.

Zoozie
Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it could also be that your opponents have learned
your playstyle. When they have played against you in several
session, their poker-tracker database will tell them you
play ultra tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forums.

The overwhelming majority of the people you play against in the micros are not really paying much attention to your game. You can run the exact same play on them over and over again, and they'll just keep paying you off. You're Lucy, they're Charlie Brown, and the poker world is your football.

Also, my guess is that you're grossly overestimating the number of micro players who use PT. I'm thinking the majority don't even know that it exists.

There are a few guys who I seem to play against all the time, and against those players I will deliberately mix up my play a bit, but a) I hardly ever butt heads with those players anyway, since we're all sitting below 20% VPIP, and b) the need to randomize only applies to less than 1% of all players. Straightforward ABC poker is really the way to go here.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the FAQ reminder.
Though I certainly do watch opponents at that limit.

After 200 hours I often play against the same people at
same limit, so you adjust you play against them.
'micro-limit' still mean some 100$ each week, so for me it is not that 'micro'

Zoozie
Old 07-04-2005, 10:17 AM

i'm interested in swapping 2/4 stats and getting someone else to glance over mine. pm me if you are up for it. that goes for anyone else as well.

cheers