Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: All in 1st Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I try to put my opponents that i dont know(do note you have _NO_ idea how 90% of the ppl in these small tournaments play, I try to put them on knowing what the hell they are doing.

Is this a bad assumption?
To believe everybody could possibly be "good".

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the villian in this hand is overbetting the pot by 15x on the first hand makes your assumption faulty. There's nothing wrong with assuming your opponents are good players with no information to suggest otherwise, but that is not the case in this instance.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: All in 1st Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I just despise this choice:

Tournament Life as a Coinflip
vs.
Outskilling people later in the tourney

I'd like to think more times then not, i can go deeper into tournaments not calling pre-flop acid trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is this is not a coinflip in most cases when dealing with the $1-10 STT/MTT SnGs. The fish that flood these things will call all-in with any pair, any ace, any 2 broadway and any 2 suited connectors. If you pass up chances where you are ahead a large majority of the time you are only outskilling yourself. This is an insta-call "every day, and twice on Sunday."

Just to expand a bit, playing where you are only concerned with the result of this ONE hand is called playing "results oriented" where the outcome of one hand influences your future or current decisions. Just because you saw someone push with 72o once and hit a full house on the flop does that mean you push with 72o every time? No. However, Aces win 85% of the time vs. a random hand, QQ is not far behind. If you are ahead most of the time, calling this time may lose you the hand but making this same play every time, in this same situation, will net you a positive result. Stop focusing on one outcome and look at the big picture.