Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: First 5 SnG\'s at 10+1

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me I've typed that more than a few times, always get the standard derisive comments. lol

Regards ML

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol!!! It's no big deal and thanks for understanding. Just wanted everyone to know I refuse to argue and that's not why i'm here, I'm here to post, read, and take advice from anyone and everyone without snapping back.

Mike!!
Old 07-19-2004, 01:38 PM

those of you who have been successful at 10/1's and 20/2's can you help to give us an outline of how to play successfully and how to adjust to the 'non-thinker'. I am used to playing NL 100 on party and mostly cash games
Old 07-19-2004, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I hear someone say, "Group hug?"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, no doubt.... We're almost at that point huh? heh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Yeah and I strongly recommend learning. Your profits will soar.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
those of you who have been successful at 10/1's and 20/2's can you help to give us an outline of how to play successfully and how to adjust to the 'non-thinker'. I am used to playing NL 100 on party and mostly cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that would be some great advice if anyone knows.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is what i'm saying nonsense, I don't get it? Why are you sounding so unpleasent over such a laid-back topic? Why are you sounding condecending in your wording? I just feel 3 parts of your reponse were rude for no reason that's all.

Adjusting to the newer less experienced players is hard for me and i'm admitting it to everyone, is that funny to you? Say something pleasent and relevent if you want to contribute. I'm sorry "my coach" so to speak started me off playing the heads up tables, then the bigger S&G tables first for the most part, and i'm sorry you never have. Hopefully this thread will continue peacefully as it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the problem you are talking about here is common to many players. They feel they can read OK players pretty easily, because OK players have a tendency to play in a by-the-book, predictable manner, even if they are tight-aggressive (which is good), while total rookies, or complete low-limit "gamblers" are more tough to cope with, since they have no "rules", they are unpredictable, and also: they are not worried about getting the worst of it, repeatedly.

However, not being able to beat the fishiest fish at the lowest levels, because they are not "clever" enough, and not predictable enough for your taste, is a sign that you are yourself only an OK player, who cannot adapt well, and will probably have pretty hard time dealing with players who are a bit better than OK, i.e, players who have already develpoed beyond "by-the-book" play, and are, in a deep sense, unpredictable.

What is interesting here, is that there are 3 stages transition (this is EXTREMELY simplified, of course), which is circular in some tricky way:

1. Being completely unpredictable, and getting the worst of it (a fish).

2. Being OK-predictable-by-the-book (players who have hard time beating the fish and can somehow manage against other MORE predictable players, but not really.)

3. Being a good player, who plays UNPREDICTABLY against the OK players, but "PREDICTABLY-SMART" against the fish, who CAN'T RECOGNIZE PREDICTABILIY.

So, it seems you are now at stage 2. Only when you are able to CRUSH the fishy games, you are getting into stage 3.

Of course, there are many many stages in between, and also beneath 1st stage and above 3rd stage.

I mean all this in good spirit, and I truely apologize if it sounds too critical or harsh.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:58 PM

I think that the problem you are talking about here is common to many players. They feel they can read OK players pretty easily, because OK players have a tendency to play in a by-the-book, predictable manner, even if they are tight-aggressive (which is good), while total rookies, or complete low-limit "gamblers" are more tough to cope with, since they have no "rules", they are unpredictable, and also: they are not worried about getting the worst of it, repeatedly.

However, not being able to beat the fishiest fish at the lowest levels, because they are not "clever" enough, and not predictable enough for your taste, is a sign that you are yourself only an OK player, who cannot adapt well, and will probably have pretty hard time dealing with players who are a bit better than OK, i.e, players who have already develpoed beyond "by-the-book" play, and are, in a deep sense, unpredictable.

What is interesting here, is that there are 3 stages transition (this is EXTREMELY simplified, of course), which is circular in some tricky way:

1. Being completely unpredictable, and getting the worst of it (a fish).

2. Being OK-predictable-by-the-book (players who have hard time beating the fish and can somehow manage against other MORE predictable players, but not really.)

3. Being a good player, who plays UNPREDICTABLY against the OK players, but "PREDICTABLY-SMART" against the fish, who CAN'T RECOGNIZE PREDICTABILIY.

So, it seems you are now at stage 2. Only when you are able to CRUSH the fishy games, you are getting into stage 3.

Of course, there are many many stages in between.

I mean all this in good spirit, and I truely apologize if it sounds too critical or harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not harsh at all, great reading is all that was buddy. I agree with you and feel I am only an average player. I also think I missed out on a lot by moving to 55 sng's too quickly that's why i'm back tracking to the 10+1's and having a problem with these people. Thanks Mantis!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:22 PM

There is alot of information in this forum and on the web that will give you some good strategies for winning at these SnG's. I personally play very tight until the table is down to 5-6 players. At this point Im changing to very aggressive play. Most of the $10+1 players I see dont play well short-handed and they will let you steal blinds like crazy since they fear getting knocked out so close to the money. Most of the time I have 30-50% of chips by the time it's down to 3 people. I think the best ways to improve your profit is to improve your short-handed and HU play. I seem to do well in these situations. Im knew to these so others can give you more experienced advice.