Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Newsweek: Rove was the leaker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unless Rove leaked it to Novak, there is no problem, since it was Novak that informed the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem for who? I think this is a big problem for Rove, and no problem for Novak.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Novak is not at fault in the eyes of the law. Morally, it is deplorable. Rove is in big trouble because of this. If he did it out of spite, then burn baby burn. I hope he goes to jail.

But, it is a hard burden of proof for the proscutor to prove. They have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Rove MEANT to aid and aibet the enemy or conciously tell classified information. Without direct information from Rove himself this is going to hard to prove.

Especially if he never used Plume's name. If all the information from Rove is one-sided from the reporters, then it will be very hard to prove this. Rove basically has to admit to leaking the information in a damaging way.

And there is two chances of that: No Way and No How.

I have zero tolerance for classified leaks.

-Gryph
Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: From the rest of the article.

[ QUOTE ]
BGC, are you daft?

He didn't mention her name. He said, as was stated in the Newsweek article, it was "Wilson's wife" when talking about the ambassador.

Out of curiosity, how many people do you think that might have narrowed the field down to? Is the ambassador mormon? Does the ambassador have a second family living somewhere that we don't know about? Seriously. I'm honestly asking you: Which of Wilson's wives do you think Rove was talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sucks doesn't it? But in the eyes of the law, he'll probably walk away from this. They only thing that we can hope if it is true is that he resigns because of the uproar.

Need to get rid of the appearance of evil.

-Gryph
Old 07-11-2005, 12:42 PM

I knew this guy Wilson was scum. He and his wife had their pictures taken for Vanity Fair magazine. Good way to stay out of the limelight. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I didn't know he had multiple wives. Thanks for telling me about his moral depravity. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 PM

From AP:

"For two years, the White House has insisted that presidential adviser Karl Rove had nothing to do with the leak of a CIA officer's identity. And President Bush said the leaker would be fired."

Either Rove is fired AND the White House admits it was wrong about Rove, or this is going to be one of the great about face spins in history.

-ptmusic
Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 PM

>>Either Rove is fired AND the White House admits it was wrong about Rove, or this is going to be one of the great about face spins in history.<<

Given the abysmal track record of this administration, I'll lay 8:1 on the latter.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From AP:

"For two years, the White House has insisted that presidential adviser Karl Rove had nothing to do with the leak of a CIA officer's identity. And President Bush said the leaker would be fired."

Either Rove is fired AND the White House admits it was wrong about Rove, or this is going to be one of the great about face spins in history.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

ok I like President Bush alot but I cannot possibly see how anyone can disagree with pt here.

this is an open and shut case for me and I like Karl Rove.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew this guy Wilson was scum. He and his wife had their pictures taken for Vanity Fair magazine. Good way to stay out of the limelight. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I didn't know he had multiple wives. Thanks for telling me about his moral depravity. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to dodge the issue, buttercup.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 AM

Most corrupt White House in history.

Fake reporters, lie to justify a war, leaking a CIA operatives name...

What will they get caught at next?

What a joke the chimp is.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:32 AM

If Rove is charged with anything, it will be under this law:

Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982
(a) Disclosure of information by persons having or having had access to
classified information that identifies covert agent

Whoever, having or having had authorized access to classified
information that identifies a covert agent, intentionally discloses any
information identifying such covert agent to any individual not
authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the
information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the
United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert
agent's intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined
not more than $50,000 or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

(b) Disclosure of information by persons who learn identity of covert
agents as result of having access to classified information

Whoever, as a result of having authorized access to classified
information, learns the identify of a covert agent and intentionally
discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any
individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing
that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that
the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert
agent's intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined
not more than $25,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(c) Disclosure of information by persons in course of pattern of
activities intended to identify and expose covert agents

Whoever, in the course of a pattern of activities intended to
identify and expose covert agents and with reason to believe that such
activities would impair or impede the foreign intelligence activities of
the United States, discloses any information that identifies an
individual as a covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive
classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so
identifies such individual and that the United States is taking
affirmative measures to conceal such individual's classified
intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined not more
than $15,000 or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

And to get to that step, it needs to be shown that Plame qualified as a covert agent; which requires this:
(A) a present or retired officer or employee of an intelligence agency or a present or retired member of the Armed Forces assigned to duty with an intelligence agency—
(i) whose identity as such an officer, employee, or member is classified information, and
(ii) who is serving outside the United States or has within the last five years served outside the United States; or
(B) a United States citizen whose intelligence relationship to the United States is classified information, and—
(i) who resides and acts outside the United States as an agent of, or informant or source of operational assistance to, an intelligence agency, or
(ii) who is at the time of the disclosure acting as an agent of, or informant to, the foreign counterintelligence or foreign counterterrorism components of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; or
(C) an individual, other than a United States citizen, whose past or present intelligence relationship to the United States is classified information and who is a present or former agent of, or a present or former informant or source of operational assistance to, an intelligence agency.

So we need to determine if Plame has served outside the U.S. within the last 5 years of the leak. If so, then we need to determine if Rove knew that a) Plame was a covert agent or b) Rove found out she was a covert agent through access to classified information (important because hearing it in the men's room doesn't count) or c) Rove outed Plame in a pattern of activites intended to out her (which this would not be since the leak wasn't part of a pattern). Sounds a little tough to prove.

As a side note, I wonder if anyone knows of a few plausible explanations as to why Plame may have been outed...?

On an even further side note, I've heard that many in the media already knew Plame was CIA. Is this true?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Usetabe

cons of this page would indignantly dismiss vile Dems' "allegations" about Karl Rove's Machiavelian politics and ruthless lack of scruples with one-phrase posts (suchasthis'un!) but I now all too gladly see that the tune has changed and we are seeing feverishly put together posts of 100 words-or-more, which is a damn good sight for sore eyes, I tell ya!

BCPVP gets into the mud pit !