Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: AA - monochrome flop

You need to play these spots. Being afraid of a flush on a board with only 3 clubs without a strong read is going to be wrong, especially when you've got the overpair. He's shown you no reason to think you're not ahead. Like I said in a different thread, to make this hand profitable, you've got to get as much action as possible with crap while still defending against the club draw.

I bet out 3/4 pot on the flop, and if a club doesn't hit on the turn, I'm going to try find a way to get his chips in the middle with a dominated hand.

A flush here is a very remote possibility. Your hand is like having JJ on a 752 flop. Probably the best hand right now, but I am damn scared of reverse implied odds. This hand is a bit more manageable than that, because you know what the scare card, and you can definitely lay down to it.

I'm just not afraid of what he's got right now, but I'm afraid of what he can make/represent.

So, bet 3/4 pot on the flop, move in to a raise. I might check the turn, but I doubt it. Flush card will check for the freebie. Move in on turn.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to play these spots. Being afraid of a flush on a board with only 3 clubs without a strong read is going to be wrong, especially when you've got the overpair. He's shown you no reason to think you're not ahead. Like I said in a different thread, to make this hand profitable, you've got to get as much action as possible with crap while still defending against the club draw.

I bet out 3/4 pot on the flop, and if a club doesn't hit on the turn, I'm going to try find a way to get his chips in the middle with a dominated hand.

A flush here is a very remote possibility. Your hand is like having JJ on a 752 flop. Probably the best hand right now, but I am damn scared of reverse implied odds. This hand is a bit more manageable than that, because you know what the scare card, and you can definitely lay down to it.

I'm just not afraid of what he's got right now, but I'm afraid of what he can make/represent.

So, bet 3/4 pot on the flop, move in to a raise. I might check the turn, but I doubt it. Flush card will check for the freebie. Move in on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a good strategy is to avoid these situations early in a tourney. You know almost nothing about the players and you are up against a frightening board with no outs. He does not need a flush, either. He could have called from the BB with JTs. If I risk the buy-in early I want a better hand.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:45 AM

I admit, it is a really scary flop. But it's only three to a flush. Would you be as scared on the turn or river?

The real scare is a flush card on the turn. Other than that, this board is like any other, and you have AA.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM

If he has a flush than I go broke. I don't really like to make to many decision. I hate giving myself the chance to outplay myself. I have aces, nothing stops me from getting it all in on the flop 95% of the time against 1 person...this is not part of the 5 percent I don't. And a flop that will stop me might be KKJ 2 flush or KQJ 2 flush. These type of flops where it is likely the player has 2 pair or trips.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a flush than I go broke. I don't really like to make to many decision. I hate giving myself the chance to outplay myself. I have aces, nothing stops me from getting it all in on the flop 95% of the time against 1 person...this is not part of the 5 percent I don't. And a flop that will stop me might be KKJ 2 flush or KQJ 2 flush. These type of flops where it is likely the player has 2 pair or trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Nick. Your flop examples, I agree, are scary. Out of curiosity. Does the KKJ or KQJ flops also scare you if not a 2 flush?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:16 PM

yes i think they do but the reason I say 2 flush is because he might have a million outs, like flush and straight draw. Which makes me a slight dog. He could also have a pair and a flush draw. In the case of KKJ that's not possible but you know what I mean.

The part about decisions is something I think a lot of people need to worry about. Decisions just plain suck. THIS is the reason I push a lot of the time preflop. People say they push in some situations cause it's +ev ok fine. But I like the fact that it doesn't take much thinking and I can focus on another problem. If i think I can steal it, I try. If i think I probably have the best hand I get it all in there, i do. I know you play a lot and I bet you at least 4 table. I 8 table and seriously i have no time to worry about a 3 flush flop with 1 paint.