Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: In Deep With JTs

[ QUOTE ]
It is the most powerful suited connector there is

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack this thread too much, but JTs must be the most overrated hand in poker. Yes, it's the best straightmaking hand there is, but it's certainly not the best suited connector because it has very little high card value. In fact, in a multiway hand, you stand a very good chance of being dominated when you do pair up one of your cards.

And always making the nut straight? This is one of those great 'fun facts' that everybody learns when they pick up the game. Of course you lose to a bigger straight about as often as you lose to a bigger flush, which is almost never.

As for JTs being the best suited connector, I'd much rather have AKs, KQs, QJs and even gappers like AQs, AJs, and KJs.

In the hand under discussion, if I was pretty sure I was going to get 5 or more people seeing the flop for only 2 bets, then I can see the call. But if everybody left to act folds, or one of the 5 people left to act 3-bets, then I'm really kicking myself.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm going to start a new thread about this...please respond as I am always looking for advice to improve and I would like to hear as many arguements as possible [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero's getting 8:1 then 7:1 then a bajillion to one for his 3 calls on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are not getting 8:1 the first time to see the river. It is extremely likely to get capped. The initially raiser is very likely to have broadway, and if he does he is always capping it here. So it is costing you more to see the river on average than two bets. Two bets is the best case scenario, not the average case.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:17 PM

Blind post, correct me if I'm wrong.. I raise the turn, fold when it comes back capped, but had I called the turn, I don't think I'm folding that river, seems like two pair may be good enough often enough to be profitable?