Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Negreanu and Jesus

[ QUOTE ]
If Ferguson is Jesus, then is Sklansky Ferguson's dad?

[/ QUOTE ]

LEGIT!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM

The bible doesnt say anything against gambling. It doesnt say anything against drinking(it does say not to get drunk).

Daniel has a duty to express comments about actions he feels are wrong. He doesnt have to be judging them to do it. I dont know how he did it, so i cant comment on it.

I personally dont have a problem with Chris's nickname. He does look lot like present day image of jesus.

SWUSC
Old 03-09-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is kind of hypocritical of Daniel to question Chris Ferguson's morality when his main source of income is gambling and frankly that's also frowned upon in Christianity. Daniel does claim he no longer judges other people like before, but I guess he has a bias view of his own sanctity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catholics can gamble. just not uptight protestants.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:08 PM

In most of the rest of the "christian" world, being named Jesus is not offensive at all. This is some puritan thing that became integrated into American culture and now newbie Christians think its some kind of commandment or something. Only the newly religious or hopelessly uptight would have a problem with someone being called Jesus. He's got long hair and beard for cryin' out loud; he looks like the stereotypical rendition of Jesus. Not even close to offensive (i'm catholic and therefore irreverant however).
Old 03-09-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Dan Negreanu's website. Allegations of blasphemy or not? What do you think?

"Well, I'm not so sure about that. First of all Barry doesn't believe in Heaven, Hell, or God for that matter. He is a proud atheist along with Chris Ferguson. Both men mocking the idea that there is a God claiming that there is no contemporary evidence to prove Jesus' existence.

I remember talking to Chris Ferguson about it one night and he looked at me like I was delusional. I was trying to explain to him that calling himself Jesus, especially considering his beliefs, is very offensive to the majority of this country."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it any different the that Hispanic tradition of naming your children Jesus?

I am a Christian, but I don't find it offensive, he is not calling himself Chris "the Christ", or Chris "the Mesiah"

It is just a name.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Dan Negreanu's website. Allegations of blasphemy or not? What do you think?

"Well, I'm not so sure about that. First of all Barry doesn't believe in Heaven, Hell, or God for that matter. He is a proud atheist along with Chris Ferguson. Both men mocking the idea that there is a God claiming that there is no contemporary evidence to prove Jesus' existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly never talked about evidence of Jesus's existense. I haven't spent any time researching it. However, when Daniel told me he was sure the earth was less than 6000 years old, I suggested that he should take a look at the Grand Canyon, learn about carbon dating, or study astronomy.

I am not a "proud" atheist. I respect beliefs that are different than mine. I think religion has helped many people become better, and I believe Daniel is among them. As long as people are good to others, I don't care what caused them to incorporate that into their philosophy.

Barry
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Must the religious complain about everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, as much as I see statements like this, I think a lot more people complain about the religious.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Ha, I was just about to make the post that the only thing as annoying as the religous right is those that complain about it.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when Daniel told me he was sure the earth was less than 6000 years old

[/ QUOTE ]

Just lost a lot of respect for D.N.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even people who don't believe in god should know a person named Jesus lived around 0-34(ish) BC

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth. Many of the events surrounding Jesus' life are pretty close to being undisputed. The whole religious debate doesn't question his existence at all. The question is, was he the messiah, or one of the many human beings that thought he was the messiah?