Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Alan Keyes\' Daughter Coming Out

Quit trying to be clever. Intolerance of intolerance isn't hypocritical the way it's commonly practiced.

I don't see many liberals disowning their kids for having conservative beliefs. But being a preacher's kid I've seen a lot of vice-versa.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Alan Keyes\' Daughter Coming Out

[ QUOTE ]
How to explain this? "Individualism" to conservatives amounts to hero-worship of a handful of inventor-entrepreneur-artist Ubermenschen with everyone else atomized and isolated, incapable of expressing or enforcing any collective will, lest it shackle the freedom of the heros.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, if recognizing achievement regardless of what racial, gender, or sexually-orientated class an individual belongs to is "hero-worship" then so be it. The freedom of "heros" as well as the freedom of other individuals should never be sacrificed to the will of some collective.

[ QUOTE ]
"Diversity" means queers of color teaching our kids. Overwhelmed by the diversity of views they don't share, they latch onto propaganda buzzwords they don't understand (and aren't supposed to understand) as a substitute for individual critical thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hunch you wouldn't find many libertarians (nor many true conservatives) who correlate diversity with "queers of color." That's just a lame attempt to paint anyone not on the left as a bigot.

The problem with making a virtue out of "diversity" (rather than just allowing it to be a natural by-product of freedom--which it will be if you let it) is that the tendency becomes to put an individual's superficial characteristics (color, gender, sexual-orientation) above their accomplishments. Frankly, I don't see why anyone would prefer to be judged by factors they can't control rather than by what kind of person they have chosen to be.

Trying to force diversity is in fact judging people by the color of their skin (or their sexual orientation, or whatever), and not as we should--by the content of their character. I think I remember some guy talking about that once...