Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: agression in the stars 500k? thoughts?

yea i know what you are saying, but yes, seriously, i make that fold with AQ there. can find much, MUCH better spots than calling all yer chips in that spot with AQ.

i know who Halling is and have played with him more than a few times. he has me pegged as agressive, yes, but i really didnt think he would make that call with AQ. i guess thats a leak on my part. 1010 and JJ, yes, i can see him calling there, but not AJ/AQ, which is why i made the play. holla

holla
Old 06-19-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if that's respect or sarcasm

[/ QUOTE ]

probably a bit of both. holla
Old 06-19-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not getting into a pissing contest with a 19 year old. you're cool bro, holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea im not the biggest fan of pissing contests, but i detest being looked down upon because of my age. my knowledge of the game doesnt take a hit because i am not 26. ive played more hands in the last 6 months than MANY professionals have in their entire lives. holla
Old 06-19-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea i know what you are saying, but yes, seriously, i make that fold with AQ there. can find much, MUCH better spots than calling all yer chips in that spot with AQ.

i know who Halling is and have played with him more than a few times. he has me pegged as agressive, yes, but i really didnt think he would make that call with AQ. i guess thats a leak on my part. 1010 and JJ, yes, i can see him calling there, but not AJ/AQ, which is why i made the play. holla

holla

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but I think he does call with AJs+ there mebbe. Tough to get a precise range.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not getting into a pissing contest with a 19 year old. you're cool bro, holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea im not the biggest fan of pissing contests, but i detest being looked down upon because of my age. my knowledge of the game doesnt take a hit because i am not 26. ive played more hands in the last 6 months than MANY professionals have in their entire lives. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stand in for raptor on this one. I'm 25 and was a little hesitant to meet a 19 year old kid when I was out in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, as I figured I'd be doing a lot of babysitting. I couldn't have been further from the truth. He in no way shape or form acts his age. He has a ton of talent at the tables (so much that i frequently ask him for advice on aim), and is a really cool guy on top of that. He is someone who is quite an asset around here and should be addressed as such if you value good advice.

Johnny
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can find much, MUCH better spots than calling all yer chips in that spot with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't agree with you here. This is an on-line tournament, after all: shortish stacks, blinds go up fast, etc. Why should he wait to find better spots (not to mention MUCH better)? This could be a great spot for him if he puts you on a wide enough range of hands. And as you describe yourself - (and how you see HIM, which is important), it looks like a very good spot. The questions are: how often will you have a hand that has him beaten (or a ~"coin flip")? how often does he have you beaten here? He obviously thought that often enough you are making a move on him. And therefore calling with AQ is automatic.

I don't know too much about him, but I have a feeling you're maybe underestimating him here a little. If he is a good enough player, he might make what seems like a tough call for you, or a call YOU (or others) wouldn't make. Part of the problem with such moves, is that often you imagine your opponent as being yourself, with the range of hands YOU would raise/call/fold with.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know too much about him, but I have a feeling you're maybe underestimating him here a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you might mean im OVERestimating him. holla
Old 06-19-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant underestimating. A call that you think is bad (as in: "he is too good to call with that"), might actually be great, i.e, "a worse player wouldn't call there". It's tricky.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I meant underestimating. A call that you think is bad (as in: "he is too good to call with that"), might actually be great, i.e, "a worse player wouldn't call there". It's tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh trust, i understand that. however, im pretty confident he wasnt on the third level of thought in that hand. holla
Old 06-19-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh trust, i understand that. however, im pretty confident he wasnt on the third level of thought in that hand. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I wasn't there, and I don't know the both of you enough. But it seems as if you expect him to put you on a rather narrow range of hands. In actuality he made a good call (and I don't mean it to be results-oriented thinking). The question is, again, how often will you be making this move against him in this spot vs. how how often will you have a hand he doesn't really want to see there (coin-flips included).

If you mean to say that he called with AQ like a fish who calls with AQ because it's a nice hand or something, then this whole thread isn't interesting to begin with, IMHO.