Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Coaching basics...

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in doing a coaching swap, where no money is exchanged, just each player try to coach the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great idea. I'd be interested in swapping with someone playing 10/20. Perhaps one hour and then we swap?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i already tried to tamper with compression and i dont think itll get better than 1.4GB or so. i really dont know too much about computers so there might be programs i am unaware of. if i compress the quality to 50% and compress the .avi into a compressed zip file it comes to 1.4GB. ive also tried xvid, dvix and saving the record in .swf. none seem to be any more efficient then this, but one thing that seems optimistic is that i can significantly cut down on frame rate which might save an extreme amount of space. ill tamper with it some more.

im glad there is interest in this idea. someone even pmed me telling me they would pay me for these avi files and offered to host them for me. i dont have any intentions to charge for the avis as long as i receive positive feedback on my play and the server fees dont go ballistic.

let me know if there is any feedback on how to improve upon my idea or if anyone thinks they can help.

thanks for the input.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about any of this stuff, but I'd be interested in this and I'm willing to help in any way needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

me and tstone have already been recording our sessions using a Flash recorder called "ViewletCam". Check it out on download.com
Old 09-30-2005, 06:19 PM

good post, thanks. Probably something I will look into eventually.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i recently came up with an idea and am considering following through on it. i want to start recording my sessions through a screen recording program and allow people to download my sessions in .avi format. 4tabling for 2 hours comes to about a 1.4GB download. if there is enough interest i could create a website and forum and have people point out hands that they feel i misplayed. this would essentially work out as free coaching for me less the hosting fees, and i know of a few people who are interested in watching my sessions. would anyone else be interested in downloading some sessions and analyzing my play or would it not be worth the time? this method of screen recording allows the viewers to see HUD stats and my hole cards, and should be much more efficient and enjoyable than communicating hole cards through aim or hand history files.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it. I'd be very interested in this and I'm sure others would be as well.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(a) the long run is very, very long. You won't know for sure if your coach is even a winning player, a marginal player, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why krishan said to PM someone whose play/posts you respect. You'll know that they are a solid winning player if you respect their play.

[ QUOTE ]
(b)the fees are exuberant and therefore out of reach for most players who potentially could benefit from coaching in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

For newer/lower stakes players, probably; although they might not be the ones that would benefit most from coaching. For 5/10+ players, the money, while significant, could easily be very worth it if it adds .xBB/100 to that players winrate. They could easily make up the $ quickly if the coaching is helpful.

[ QUOTE ]
(c)But the kicker: Why pay for something you can get for free. 2+2 Archives > paying your coach $200-$500 per appointment/session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many of the players that this post and coaching are targeted towards are ones that have read a lot of the archives and read this forum regularly. Those players already have the knowledge gained from the archives (which is definitely very valuable and might easily be worth more than coaching for some). In addition, we all have leaks that we're unaware of, and might not be addressed by just posting hands we think are interesting, while our leaks lie elsewhere in the uninteresting hands. Coaching lets someone look over all of your hands, not just the ones you have questions on.

I think your points are very valid, especially for newer players, but don't necessarily hold true for more experienced players looking to get better.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:39 PM

Let me just say, and i am being completely serious, that i am very impressed with some of the ideas put forth in this thread by TStone, Baronzeus, Justin A, etc...

I personally turn inwards when i try to focus on improving my game, but the stuff you guys are suggesting sounds very intresting. I would definitly be interested in taking part in some of this stuff.

Gabe
Old 09-30-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me just say, and i am being completely serious, that i am very impressed with some of the ideas put forth in this thread by TStone, Baronzeus, Justin A, etc...

I personally turn inwards when i try to focus on improving my game, but the stuff you guys are suggesting sounds very intresting. I would definitly be interested in taking part in some of this stuff.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, we can watch you run good [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 06:54 PM

Yeah, 5bb/100 is just running average though right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I ran hotten this month than i have run since december, which was kind of due, but at the same time very welcome. What was funny about it was i still had some of my biggest swings ever on daily basis BB wise. (obviously $$$ wise doesnt mean anything since im playing higher than i used to)

In reality, i ran average/poor on everything except 30/60 and 20/40, but since 80% of my hands were there it didnt matter. Party making only 1 50 game means that probably wont even be worth it, so i hope i keep running good in the 30 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 PM

im testing out programs right now but im having issues with the software. i dont know if this idea will be realized or not. hopefully i can work the kinks out of the technical problems, but there are really quite a few right now. :/
Old 10-01-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i recently came up with an idea and am considering following through on it. i want to start recording my sessions through a screen recording program and allow people to download my sessions in .avi format. 4tabling for 2 hours comes to about a 1.4GB download. if there is enough interest i could create a website and forum and have people point out hands that they feel i misplayed. this would essentially work out as free coaching for me less the hosting fees, and i know of a few people who are interested in watching my sessions. would anyone else be interested in downloading some sessions and analyzing my play or would it not be worth the time? this method of screen recording allows the viewers to see HUD stats and my hole cards, and should be much more efficient and enjoyable than communicating hole cards through aim or hand history files.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great idea. Please keep details posted.