Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Did Ernie mess this up?

[ QUOTE ]
The flop call is okay if Ernie thinks he has seven clean outs on the flop. I hope he elaborates on that call.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long I can convince you that most of the time I have seven outs, the call is fine. The pot is effectively laying the odds to draw to a seven-outer. I can count on a check/raise if I hit my gutshot giving me some implied odds.

Of the three villains, the CO is easiest to read. He doesn't have AQ. He's aggressive and would have raised that hand preflop. He could have top pair/medium kicker here or a set. We've all learned not to fear monsters. Since he doesn't have AQ, he doesn't have an A.

There is also no chance that the early position limpers have AQ. The game was playing aggressively preflop. Either of them would have raised this hand. The flop bettor is the next easiest player to read. After three players check to him and he bets this flop, he's got a top pair, middle pair, or a middle pocket pair. It's unlikely that he is holding A5; limping with that here given how the game was playing preflop would be terrible. He's not holding an A.

UTG's hand is the most difficult to read. He open limped preflop and checked this innocuous flop. That could be anything. If he has a stronger A than mine, he'll likely dump it to the flop raise. If he calls, there is no reason to fear he has an A.

Sometimes it's very important what your kicker is. I don't think this one of those times. I think my A outs are clean.

Ernie.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The flop call is okay if Ernie thinks he has seven clean outs on the flop. I hope he elaborates on that call.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long I can convince you that most of the time I have seven outs, the call is fine. The pot is effectively laying the odds to draw to a seven-outer. I can count on a check/raise if I hit my gutshot giving me some implied odds.

Of the three villains, the CO is easiest to read. He doesn't have AQ. He's aggressive and would have raised that hand preflop. He could have top pair/medium kicker here or a set. We've all learned not to fear monsters. Since he doesn't have AQ, he doesn't have an A.

There is also no chance that the early position limpers have AQ. The game was playing aggressively preflop. Either of them would have raised this hand. The flop bettor is the next easiest player to read. After three players check to him and he bets this flop, he's got a top pair, middle pair, or a middle pocket pair. It's unlikely that he is holding A5; limping with that here given how the game was playing preflop would be terrible. He's not holding an A.

UTG's hand is the most difficult to read. He open limped preflop and checked this innocuous flop. That could be anything. If he has a stronger A than mine, he'll likely dump it to the flop raise. If he calls, there is no reason to fear he has an A.

Sometimes it's very important what your kicker is. I don't think this one of those times. I think my A outs are clean.

Ernie.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really want to argue that the ace outs are clean?

3 opponents create heavy action in a small pot with few possible draws and you think it is very likely that nobody has an ace, a hand that beats a pair or the only possible OESD (ok, the last possibility is remote indeed)?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3 opponents create heavy action in a small pot with few possible draws and you think it is very likely that nobody has an ace, a hand that beats a pair or the only possible OESD (ok, the last possibility is remote indeed)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I told him this over and over last night.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that they aren't?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:23 AM

Ernie played the hand perfectly because he used expert hand reading to determine he almost always has 7 outs but then Ernie plays a lot like DYNASTY and CLARKMEISTER should already know that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that they aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

because these 3 opponents must have something. the scenario in whitch your ace outs are good is if all the opponents have top pair with non-ace kicker (or maybe one of them with a PP). if someone has second or third pair it is pretty likely that he has an ace kicker. Axs are commonly played in early posision in SS.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ernie played the hand perfectly because he used expert hand reading to determine he almost always has 7 outs but then Ernie plays a lot like DYNASTY and CLARKMEISTER should already know that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, lets add ernie to the ultimate list of great poster because of his incredible hand reading skills. the non-expert might have missed much value by folding...