Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: No one expects...

[ QUOTE ]
Never ceases to amaze me, when people think that they "know" what is funny and what isn't. Funny is subjective. Different things to different people. Flat out stating that something isn't funny, when thousands upon thousands of people obviously think it is, is always wrong. There are lots of things others find funny that I don't think is funny. They're funny. Just not to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta disagree on this one, Vibesman. Lots of people know lots of things that are wrong. It doesn't make them opinions. It just makes those people stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 02:19 PM

Here's my best example: I think vomiting is hilarious. Not when I do it. When someone else does it, and I mean anyone else. I laugh uncontrollably while watching people vomit in real life, in the movies, in cartoons. I've cracked up at puppets vomiting. Crying babies also cause me to start laughing.

Some people - indeed, most people - don't find these things funny. I don't care. Since they make me laugh, they are funny. And if that's wrong, I don't want to be right, especially if being right means I'll start watching "Seinfeld" or "Friends" and thinking that dreck is funny, because to me, it's obviously not. But Jerry Seinfeld has 200 million friends in a bank that all say "Seinfeld" was hilarious. So what do I know? Indeed, what do ANY of us know? Am I even wearing pants?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think vomiting is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know Monty Python really isn't that funny right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly wrong. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It's like nerdy funny sure, but it's easily the most overrated comedy troup ever. Once I turned 16 or so I realized that "Holy Grail" isn't even close to being as funny as I thought it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. You're still very wrong about this. Don't worry, though, it will be OK.
Many people get through life just fine without good taste.

I must again point to the "Best Comedy" thread we had in OOT more than a month ago. It clearly showed that very few of you have any sense of what makes good comedy. The bad picks in that thread were so sad that it led me to stop posting and checking 2+2 as much as I once did. (Well... that and the significant increase of members like SoSo.)

You guys have absolutely horrible taste in just about everything.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know Monty Python really isn't that funny right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly wrong. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It's like nerdy funny sure, but it's easily the most overrated comedy troup ever. Once I turned 16 or so I realized that "Holy Grail" isn't even close to being as funny as I thought it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. You're still very wrong about this. Don't worry, though, it will be OK.
Many people get through life just fine without good taste.

I must again point to the "Best Comedy" thread we had in OOT more than a month ago. It clearly showed that very few of you have any sense of what makes good comedy. The bad picks in that thread were so sad that it led me to stop posting and checking 2+2 as much as I once did. (Well... that and the significant increase of members like SoSo.)

You guys have absolutely horrible taste in just about everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're young and in the midwest, it's ok man, your tastes will mature eventually. You'll expand your horizons and see the light. Python is OVERRATED. Also' don't lump me in with the masses, my taste is exquisite. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM

Its heroin in the box. It was the 80's everyone was shooting up. He used to catch his dad passed out with a needle in his arm [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 07:02 PM

The 80s saw a marked decline in heroin use, but don't let that trouble you. Ups and Downs tend to come in waves, and the 80s was not a down wave.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i was expecting it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

i haven't watched monty python anything in a long time, but i've certainly grown to hate the idea of it. people incessantly parrot the popular routines, usually with misquotes. misquoting python is an egregious error because of how quoted it is. the idea of watching a movie with somebody yammering the lines a half second behind the movie, mistiming/misquoting it, and then stumbling over their words while they try to catch up makes me violent.

at this point i don't think i would find the stuff actually funny, but perhaps entertaining.