Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Wait till the turn

But its not neccasarily shorthanded. U have two limpers, u raise, the BB is going to call this with just about anything except complete crap. He can full expect to get 7.5:1 here.

On the button I will raise this against one weak limper. With two or more, most of the time, in these games...one or both of the blinds are coming along.

EDIT: Especially with opponents that are aware u are raising weak limpers with position...if I was in BB, Id call...you probably dont have much.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 PM

I agree with the others -- pf I limp (probably not too much difference EV wise though). I like the rest tho. I had a similar hand earlier today and played it the same raising with the blank on the turn... someone's flush hit on the river tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise pf, but I don't think it's much different (+ or -) than limping.
-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really a bit surprised there was so much talk about PF here as I thought this was very, very standard. I'm just trying to get the blinds out of the hand here and keep it shorthanded....right out of SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not shorthanded (it's already 3-handed), it's highly unlikely you'll fold both the blinds, as you're offering BB 7.5:1, and you're bloating the pot.

I don't think it's a big deal. I just think there's less reason to raise Queen high here than you seem to be giving it credit for.

One of the biggest problems our opponents have is that they call too often postflop with the worst of it. We mitigate this problem by raising preflop because we make the pot larger, and we don't gain much from it, as our equity edge isn't particularly large, even against 3 random hands.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

There were only 2 limpers to me. Page 74 "On the button you can usually play any of these hands in an unrasied pot. If the pot is still short-handed, raise (especially with AT and KJ) to try to fold the blinds. Against several limpers, just limp in."

If the blinds are very loose and don't care whether there's a raise or not, I just limp in here.

I do understand you're thoughts, though; however I do think it's more advantageous to keep it short-handed here than to keep the pot size small since the vast majority of the time we're probably looking at a vunerable top pair hand if we even improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTip,

There are 2 limpers, yourself, and when you raise, BB will come along the vast majority of the time in 2/4 unless you're telling me that you've got a read on him as a tight player (and it's obvious you didn't). 4-handed is not a shorthanded pot. It's close though. 3-handed is SH as far as I'm concerned, and I find this an easy raise with one limper as isolation. Isolation against two, however, with either a very bad or a very good player in the BB, is unlikely to succeed, and you're likely to be playing 4-ways in an 8+SB pot where your opponents mistakes will be mitigated, especially on the flop, by the pot size.

Again, I never said it's bad. I just know that you haven't read or understood HEPFAP as well as you'd like (I've gathered this from past posts of yours) and was re-emphasizing a point that many people forget. The big thing is that you've already got the Button here so your main reason for raising is to fold out the SB and BB, but it certainly comes at some expense, especially when BB will usually continue postflop anyway.

I like your flop and turn play (flop is neither a certain raise nor a certain call for me), but the river is an easy bet against this opposition. Missing value bets like these is going to cost you in the long run.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a preflop discussion/debate, I just wanted to make sure that you knew that there are excellent reasons for calling in this spot with hands like KTo and QJo.

Rob
Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 PM

Thanks Rob.

I know you didn't mean to turn it into PF, but I enjoyed it and learned as well. I'm assuming that KJ would probably be a bit different, yes?

A river bet after the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls? Man....I value bet the river more than most, I'm certain of that...but this card seems to be one of the worst in the deck for me...

You're right about HEPFAP, what section were you thinking of specifically that is commonly misunderstood?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Rob.

I know you didn't mean to turn it into PF, but I enjoyed it and learned as well. I'm assuming that KJ would probably be a bit different, yes?

A river bet after the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls? Man....I value bet the river more than most, I'm certain of that...but this card seems to be one of the worst in the deck for me...

You're right about HEPFAP, what section were you thinking of specifically that is commonly misunderstood?

[/ QUOTE ]

KJo is a raise for me in this position and a limp against more than two players, but I think it can stand a little more pressure and has a bit more high card value, but I don't think limping with it would be a big deal either. The big thing is that you've got a good enough hand to play and you've already got the button, and while there are some situations that would push it to an easier raise (increased FE, ability to represent a greater range of hands), these are mitigated by players who call too much in general.

The sections that seem to be misunderstood a lot (I still don't get them fully) have to do with offsuit broadways and pot size manipulation. It clicked a bit better a few weeks ago when CDC and Justin A both mentioned that after 4-5 limpers (I can't remember which), they weren't particularly interested in raising KQo OTB.

Regarding the river bet, I can see how it's a scary card, but loose opponents are still calling with a pair here, and they're checkraising better hands. I'd bet and fold to a c/r here.

Rob
Old 07-07-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the river bet, I can see how it's a scary card, but loose opponents are still calling with a pair here, and they're checkraising better hands. I'd bet and fold to a c/r here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That answers my question then. I'm not folding here...I just won't do it. Which is why I'm not betting. Ed talked about not betting when you don't know how to handle being raised. Well, I would have known what I should have done, but I wouldn't have done it. I want to turn my cards over here.

So, this may be a small leak on my part.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That answers my question then. I'm not folding here...I just won't do it. Which is why I'm not betting. Ed talked about not betting when you don't know how to handle being raised. Well, I would have known what I should have done, but I wouldn't have done it. I want to turn my cards over here.

So, this may be a small leak on my part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think betting and calling a c/r is better than checking against this opposition, because I think you've got the best hand more often than 66% of the time when you decide to bet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 07-07-2005, 11:28 PM

So, you're telling me

c/f > c/c > c

I really have to ponder this. I need to do some review on this stuff.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, you're telling me

c/f > c/c > c

[/ QUOTE ]

b/f > b/c > c

Assuming this is the same Party $2/4 I used to play, which is loose passive and you would have been able to pick up on a trickier player, in general, by now (unless this was your first few hands at the table).

In general at $2/4, flush draws aren't leading the turn, players aren't betting gutshots, and aren't bluff-checkraising the river very often at all.

Rob
Old 07-08-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, you're telling me

c/f > c/c > c

[/ QUOTE ]

b/f > b/c > c

Assuming this is the same Party $2/4 I used to play, which is loose passive and you would have been able to pick up on a trickier player, in general, by now (unless this was your first few hands at the table).

In general at $2/4, flush draws aren't leading the turn, players aren't betting gutshots, and aren't bluff-checkraising the river very often at all.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Right..that's what I meant. Not c/f...b/f.

Anyway, yeah...I think you're right.