Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Profit Potential - Convincing dad that poker isnt so bad

As long as you have EVERY intention of continuing your education after the poker bubble bursts, I say milk it for all you can while it lasts.

I wish I had this opportunity when I was 20.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:38 PM

1600 hours of poker a year is SOOO much. I don't think anyone puts in these kind of hours.

I still think you could make more money per hour then you are suggesting so the final result is about the same even if you play less hours.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:51 PM

scub, i gottta say, yer wrong. i just made this to give some people an idea of what was VERY doable by an even average winning snger. my parents are already aware of what im doing, and while they arent neccessarily happy about it, they accept it and understand that i am doing well at it.

i understand that im missing out on a few things in college, but i DID go, and once this online thing dries up in a few years, ill probably go back. thanks for caring though, good to see some people do [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 PM

again, im not trying to convince my parents of anything. they already know what im doing. and yes, i realize that im intelligent to do well in another career after school and a degree. however, my ambition is in creating my own company, and running my own thing. i despise authority, and could never work for anyone else that feels like he is superior to me. and also, my parents spend ZERO dollars sending me to school, was all on me thru scholarships and such. only had to pay for cost of living.

i understand that this poker thing wont last forever. i can look ahead more than 10 days and see a bit of how my future could be if i didnt have a degree. most of the things i want to do with my life do not require a degree. once this internet thing dries up, i fully intend to go back to school, if im not creating a gigantic internet corporation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 04-09-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're smart enough to 8 table 109s for 100K a year you probably could be earning tons more money in a real career. Sure, 100K a year is great out of college, but you don't get an assured raise, health care, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

100K is a good salary at any stage of a person's career. In general, the only way to get a salary above $100K is to work on commission, move into middle management (usually takes at least 5 years), become a technical expert, or work as a contractor or consultant. Employees are just not normally paid salaries above $100K. $200K is probably the most anyone could expect to make as an employee and then you would need to go out on your own or start your own business to make more than that.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus the boom might end and you might be looking at 70K.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my biggest concern if I started playing poker full-time. The money just seems too easy. Poker money today is easier to accumulate than dotcom money was during the boom. It would seem that this easy money would have to dry up sometime.

[ QUOTE ]
And there is little hope for moving up, at least when compared to a real career. Plus, playing internet poker is not much fun 40 hrs a week for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like someone that has never had a real 40-hour per week job. Playing poker 40 hours per week is easy. You don't have a boss, you don't have deadlines, and you can more or less set your own schedule. Plus, if you have a couple of good weeks and decide you want to fly to Aruba for a week and just chill there's noone you need to clear it with other than yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
So it is great short term, but not long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is a great long-term career if you are good at it. The problem is in today's climate is tough to determine whether you're good or whether most everyone else you play against is just really bad.

I like the idea that a previous poster suggested of taking an easy load each semester and leaving plenty of time to play poker. This easy poker money probably won't be around forever and now is the time to scoop up as much of it as you can. If you're in college, consider getting on a five- or six-year plan to graduation so that you will have plenty of time for poker. I also can't fault those that decide to completely drop out -- especially if you're making $100K+ per year.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:06 PM

How do u answer to that?

I left home and dropped out of Uni.

They _couldn't_ answer that [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 04-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Granny estimates 100K on party this summer. That is good news for us.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:16 PM

oh, and all this 140k stuff, is based on FIVE PERCENT. im much higher than that. so ill make way more than 140k this year. holla
Old 04-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Eh. I've shown you can make six figs a year 6-8 tabling the $22s [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2005, 06:03 PM

My advice wasn't meant to say "you're a dumb kid raptor" and it wasn't really written with you in mind either, I have no idea about your sitaution. holla. But in general... poker=/=career. That's the point. Poker= tons of short term cash.