Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Quality of players at WSOP

My table was sorta tough. It was filled with about 7 "tag lights." These guys are still hard to get big pots off and generally have some card sense. I probably fit into that category as well.

Tommy Vu, the guy who ended up 22nd, was on my left and definetely abused me a few times. He was a LAG to the fullest. He definetely saw players like me as someone who he could take all the small pots he wanted off of. Another European player across the table from me, who ended up busting me, was an extreme LAG as well, but he seemed too loose and aggro and would spew chips if you got him in the right scenario.

The worst player at my table was actually Erin Ness. She was loose and aggressive, but made many boneheaded plays. She's the type of player that loves hands that will make 2nd best hands -- KJ, AQ, etc (despite strength shown in front of her.)
Old 10-19-2005, 04:39 PM

correct that i was the guy on the phone on ESPN.

i was in seat 3 though.

chan was in seat 6....the AA slow-play guy was in seat 5 and that seat was empty for a couple hours because somehow the seat-change card got lost somewhere along the way.
So for some semi-crucial button-SB-BB type hands it was me on the button trying to take Chan's BB (or something like that).

That's about as much fun as I had in the $3k event on July 1 where Huck Seed was on my immediate left and was determined to play pretty gosh-darned fast....and wasn't afraid to just push me out of any battle of the blinds pot-battle.
He was either going to accumulate chips REALLY fast or call it a day. I was trying to survive.
Hard to call in a blind-battle for half your chips even when you KNOW he probably missed the flop just as badly as you did.
Oh well. Fun times.

I actually made a reasonable run at the money in the $3k event (out about 200th out of 1000....top 100 cashed).

I didn't make it past day 1 in the main-event.

TAG-light guy UTG crushed me early on with his AA against my KK.
Chan lasted about 10 minutes longer than I did.
We were both in a race to see who could get blinded-out faster (we were both short-stacked and trying to hang around for a loooooooong time).

There's no doubt in my mind that even though the opposition was somewhat sucky at times that I was still not much higher than the ranks of online-qualifier-WSOP-n00b.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Not all people are like that. Dont forget ESPN only plays selected hands. ALso i believe KJ was getting short stack in relation to the blinds. So if thats the case pushing with any two becomes reasonable....
Old 10-19-2005, 05:16 PM

Seeing the quality of play there made me feel good about my game. At my 1st day table I had:

- Erik123
- some Finnish online high stakes guy who was a lot tighter than Erik but definitely a solid player.
- A loose fish who busted early chasing flushes etc,
- 3 older guys who generally played too loose and overvalued their holdings (eg raising A9o on the button after 2 EP limps or calling a pot sized crippling all-in bet on the turn with the bare flush draw vs a likely set)
- An older pokerstars qualifier who had a knack postflop for checking when ahead and raising when behind (erik tortured him later in the day).
- LAG'y PS qualifier who seemed to play well postflop.
- young PS guy who played so incredibly tight it was hopeless.

So, yeah, pretty much like an online roundup of characters.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw plenty of horrific play at my starting table too - it just convinces me that the WSOP ME has enough prestige to it that suckers put up the 10k or somehow win a seat, where they never would if it were some other 10k event. 2 guys really stuck out in my mind. One didn't play a hand til near the end of round 1, and then he opened a pot all-in for his ~10k. After everyone folded he showed AA. Then 10 minutes later there was an UTG limp for 50, followed by this guy again raising all-in. UTG calls, showing AKs, and the raiser flips AA. That play stuck out in my mind, but 4-5 others were just as bad with different styles. Only 2-3 other players on my table had any idea how to play solid no limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, which player are you saying was terrible? Deciding to push all-in with AA as your only move for the first level or first two levels and showing the AA if not called doesn't seem like a good idea (who knows, maybe he was playing THE SYSTEM), but if you can get calls from AKs and KK and QQ players who think you are making a play maybe it isn't so bad!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm saying both these players were terrible, and it is entirely possible that the one guy was using "the system". I didn't last long enough to see what he did when the blinds started getting high. I did get to play him later in the week though at 20/40 where he proved to me that he barely had any idea what his 2 cards were.