Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: AQo - I\'m a newb.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Assuming he is positionally aware

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume he isn't, since his stats are 50/5. Position is harder to understand than what cards are playable, and this guy doesn't even understand that.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is fair enough. I guy who plays 50/5 is probably not positionally aware, and I agree with others who have said that the cards he raises will often not be his best holdings, as he is afriad of 'losing customers' with AA or KK. Just hypothetically, though, say there was an opponent who was, say, 23/5. He basically plays the same cards as your tightish TAG but just limps too much pre-flop. He probably does have some idea about the importance of position. Now when this guy raises UTG, I still think AQ is a fold. Although the pokerstove stats say there we have the equity to 3 bet (I don't use pokerstove, and will admit to finding the numbers a bit baffling - 'not a math guy')I still don't like it. Basically because of the reverse implied odds that this analysis does not take into account. First, if we give the guy a vague awareness of position, I find it hard to put him on AJ when he raises UTG. TT, maybe. JJ though AA; AQs AQ, AKs, AK (I know with the original raiser this was not the case, but this example is hypothetical). The problem is that when we hit out hand, we are only going to get decent action when we are probably beat or chopping. We are going to either lose a smallsh pot lose a big one. Same reason some NL players hate AQ. When the A or Q hit, you are often behind against a very tight range, but still end up putting in mutiple bets hoping that your hand is best. When you are ahead, however, it is difficlut to get paid off (when the A comes, QQ KK may or may not call you down, either way you're unlikely to ge more than 2.5 BB, excluding the times they suck out to a set). So although the equity is maybe there hot and cold, when the hand plays out you will lose more when you lose than you win when you win. Therefore I fold.