Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Black v. Matusow Hand ... Good laydown??

Maybe Matusow did put him on JJ-AA and was expecting a re-raise to his 450K flop bet, but at the same time he didn't want to give a free card.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM

Knowing that Matusow has bluffed a bit in the tourney w/ some crap pocket cards, I would think about it a bit. However, he called a reraise preflop when someone has already gone in. He would be stupid to play the hand unless he had SOMETHING. I would immediately fold after his bet on the flop.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an awfully coordinated flop to slowplay

[/ QUOTE ]

enhh... I mean, it's T-9-7 and you are in front of a reraiser. What hands does he reraise with that connect with this at all, other than JJ. And even then, you've got him drawing to 6 outs, which is pretty slim.

Also, if you check it, you give the JJ/QQ/KK the impression that they are still ahead, and maybe they bet into you.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:10 PM

Black has two choices.. All-In or Fold..

He cannot call, because there's numerous cards that could help Mike if he's on either a draw or overpair (A-K).

If he goes all-in, he risks his tournament life. Mike definently has either a middle-to-big pair or A-K. Which narrows it down to about 3 hands Black can actually beat (8-8, J-J, A-K).

If Matusow has ANY of those 3 hands.. It's VERY likely he does not bet the flop. I can't see Mike firing at the flop with a guy all-in, and a pre-flop raiser to act with those 3 hands. MAYBE.. MAYBE.. J-J.. but I see him taking a free card with it, and that's only 1 out of 6 hands that Matusow would bet with, that Black can beat!

This is a very good and logical fold.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:13 PM

Still tough... I'm surprised he dind't bet the flop.

I think the cold call of 350,000 scared the crap out of him and he thought Mike was trapping with AA or KK. Very hard to pass at least taking a stab on a 900,000 pot ($300,000 side pot) with an overpair.

What if the flop came J97, he checks, Mike bets half the pot, he folds, now it looks like a terrible play. This is where position and fearing the big stack comes into play. With Mike having position on him he pretty much gave up the pot unless he flopped a set.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM

I think it's a tough fold and one that requires a decent amount of thinking at the table, but I definitely agree with what you are saying...it's just not an easy fold to me given Matusow's tendencies (but I wouldn't want to risk my tournament life on it either).
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Tough folds is what gets you to the final table.

You don't reach the final 3 tables by saying, "I have an over pair to the board, I gotta move-in."

I bet every player left in the tournament has made a couple huge laydowns like this.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Thought the same thing as what you both mentioned. Maybe 99. I don't think Black would have shown the hand otherwise except to illustrate he expected the same range of cards out of MM.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet every player left in the tournament has made a couple huge laydowns like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of a likely exception...
Old 07-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Tiffany?