Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: So I need to accept this job offer this week....

Yeah your situation was a lot different. If you hate the career then obviously staying in it isn't going to be a good move, regardless of poker. I still think you should have stuck it out for 1 year though, but that's just my take on it.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 PM

I was a manager in one of the big accounting firms a few years ago. Part of my job was recruiting, interviewing and hiring college graduates.

If you take the job and do well for a few years, you can take a year off and still get good job offers if and when you decide to re-enter the accounting field.

If you decide to screw around for a year right out of college and then start the job search all over again, you will likely find it tough going. You would not get an interview with me.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 PM

You can quit the job after 6 months no problem but it might be difficult to find another job in 6 months.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 AM

You should see if they will extend the offer for a year. Tell them you would like a year to travel and study for the CPA exam. It probably would not be a good idea to say it is so you can try to play poker professionally. The accounting firms need good people right now and they would probably be willing to wait a year to get you. I have friends who had there offers extended a year so they could go to grad school. It is at least worth asking them if you can do this. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 AM

Parents have a role as parents, forget about when they were your age. Besides, as the lady says, do what makes you happy--it's time you start taking responsibility for your own life and decisions anyway; pleasing your parents can come later if you still want to do that. O.K. doesn't sound too thrilling.
What really turns you on? That's what you'll probably work the hardest and be most successful at.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Yes, I already have worked this job over the summer, and I didn't hate it, but I also didn't really want to get up to go work and didn't really enjoy it.

As for extending the offer a year, it's already been extended for grad school. I mentioned to the recruiting person that I would was thinking about taking a year off and she didn't offer to extend it.

Also, to the person that said talk to a personal friend in the company, I did and he said that a whole year probably wouldn't work.

I think, especially based on the comment about the gap of a year not being such a good thing that I'm going to get whatever time off I can, en then take the job. Hopefully I won't hate it, and I'll pay my dues in public for a few years. As someone mentioned, three years of public opens up a lot more doors.

Thanks again, all.

Craig
Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 PM

Craig,

I've never understood the fascination or terror associated with "time off" on a resume. People live their lives and make different choices. An employer who can't see the positives of somenoe taking some time off to do something different — or a potential employee who can't explain it as a positive — are not people I would want to work with anyway, from either side.

You only get one shot at it, you can't take any of it with you when it's over with, and you can always change the plan in progress.

I see nothing wrong with taking time off, and a lot wrong with letting other people make decisions about your life.

ElSapo
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Taking the job is the responsible thing to do. How do you handle with doing the irresponsible?

I traveled and generally dicked around after college for 2 years. I worked during that time as a retail store manager, but it was not a career path. After I got "my life" out of my system I went into my financial planning career. I started out a little less than 4 years ago and 2006 I plan to open my own branch office. Your parents want you to be able to earn a good living. The parents of our generation are the ones who grew up on pensions and 20+years at the same company. Thats not todays marketplace. If you work hard and have drive to be entrepreneurial, then you will find your money and be ok. I did, because I can control my destiny. Some peeps dont have that.

Ask yourself this question: "Am I making an educated mature decision or am I making a short-term childish one?" This is not meant to be rude, but just a "chek yo'self" thing. If you know you've put a lot of thought into it I say go for the travels. It worked for me. Keep in mind that it worked for me because I know/knew myself very well.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking the job is the responsible thing to do. How do you handle with doing the irresponsible?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's his life, and "responsible" and "irresponsible" are words other people use to judge decisions that aren't theirs.

[ QUOTE ]
I traveled and generally dicked around after college for 2 years. I worked during that time as a retail store manager, but it was not a career path. After I got "my life" out of my system

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea that you need to get "life" out of your system before you can start being "responsible" is really, really depressing.

Otherwise, I agree with you — the key to doing anything, in any endeavor, is knowing yourself and being honest with yourself.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"responsible" and "irresponsible" are words other people use to judge decisions that aren't theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people wonder how I can do something as 'irresponsbile' as playing poker for a living.
I don't even know if I'm going to make any money at all on a given day/week.

Other people think I'm obnoxiously over-responsible and no fun at all. Afterall, I don't drink and drive...and I don't have any interest at all to throw down $100 chips at the blackjack table or play at limits well above my bankroll.
Somebody tells me of their progressive blackjack betting scheme that netter them $5000 in one night by just doubling-up their bets at the right times...and I tell them that that is awfully dangerous and to be careful and they are confused that I'm not on the same page as them regarding how cool and easy it is to make money at gambling.