Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: 10/20 AQs preflop

[ QUOTE ]
UTG here is 62/5. Behind me are two 30/5s and a 49/19. The blinds are tight. For each of the options fold/call/raise one of Entity/klepto/I think that option is right.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: I am MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, I

[/ QUOTE ]

From the gospel according to astroglide: "I 3-bet an UTG raise with AQs unless I have a reason not to".
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 AM

With only two marginally loose players and one fairly loose one, I'd prefer coldcalling here to 3-betting. But against an EP raiser that hasn't shown himself to be particularly aggressive (sample size beware, which I don't think Jason mentioned when we chatted about this hand) and without prospects of a big multiway pot with me holding absolute position, I think I fold. We're about 60/40 against his range and in general I don't think, unless we have other observations, he's the sort of player that we can exploit folding equity against (either by 3-betting or by coldcalling and raising flops). Our relative position isn't great for a draw but is great for hand protection, but I'm not sure which flops we're going to be particularly pleased protecting when he leads into us.

The crux of this decision would be how he tends to play postflop, but unknown, I think I fold here.

Rob
Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 PM

i like fold&gt;call&gt;raise but im openminded.

youre behind his hand range and 3 betting preflop allows him to play close to correctly postflop. he will probably checkcall alot like he should and will probably fold close to as much as he should while sometimes chasing incorrectly.

you also have to account for the times that players behind you have hands that dominate you. its more than just playing HU against this guy. by 3betting youre putting in more money when behind and give him a chance to cap it.

which is why i prefer calling. by investing less money your implied odds go up. i also think coldcalling maximizes your postflop edge against him. he will make more mistakes than if you 3bet. i dont think players coming in behind you is a problem especially if they coldcall with hands that you dominate. the only problem is that if the players behind you are aggressive, when the raiser bets the flop you may have a tough time calling a bet to peel the turn beind sandwiched behind players who might raise and having it comes back 2 more bets to you.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:24 PM

I'm sorry, JT, if this is hijacking a bit.

Sweetjazz:

I played with a friend today on whom I have 700 hands. I checked his wtsd%, and it was 26%. So, I asked him to check his db. It was 31%.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sweetjazz:

I played with a friend today on whom I have 700 hands. I checked his wtsd%, and it was 26%. So, I asked him to check his db. It was 31%.

[/ QUOTE ]

WtSD and W$SD both take a long time to converge. VPIP and PFR converge much more quickly in general.

Rob
Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sweetjazz:

[/ QUOTE ]

WtSD and W$SD both take a long time to converge. VPIP and PFR converge much more quickly in general.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I was asking sweetjazz about his yesterday. "How many hands before you start to have confidence in the number." I mean, 600 hands is quite a bit to have on an opponent. Do I really need to wait until I have a couple thousand before I start making decisions based on this #?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM

It always amazes me how things can be screwy over 100 hands or more.

Yesterday was a perfect example. After I got settled in my start, I check my stats at each table. At this point in time I had played 200 hands at each table.

At one of my tables I was a 12/4 over 200 hands.

At another of my tables I was a 28/18 over 200 hands.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM

I routinely check my stats on tables to see how I'm looking to my opponents.

- Jim
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I routinely check my stats on tables to see how I'm looking to my opponents.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I should know how to do this.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:18 PM

I use PA which allows me to click on my name plate and a pop-up appears that displays my numbers for that table. You can also click on any opponents name plate for the same information. This may be a toggled setting.

- Jim