Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Best NFL team ever

89 49'ers..
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 AM

85 Bears and it isn't even close.

If for nothing else that the "SuperBowl Shuffle".

EVERYONE in the entire country knew they were gonna win the SB. EVERYONE. Most dominate team ever.

Even the Ravens D of a few years ago didn't think they were better than the 85 Bears.

Whoever said 72 Dolphins needs to get their heads examined.

The O line for the Dolphins in 72 is about the size of an average RB these days. They would be destroyed.

Da Bearz.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Da Bears, 85, but they were a one year wonder.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a typical Yinzer Steelers fan who can't get over the good ole days of the 70's pulled one over on you :

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical...they see me coming. Thanks for the link..I can't wait to pull this out the next time SuperBowl discussion comes up.

Kevin
Old 02-02-2005, 11:16 AM

"They also rarely "handled" anyone this season. Most of their games were close with just the better team winning. "

Give me a break. They led the NFL in point differential this year at 11.1 ppg, had the #2 scoring defense and the #4 scoring offense. Yeah, just eeking their way to victories. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Not only that but I read in SI a while back that their schedule was really soft (something like playing only three teams with winning records).

Cody
Old 02-02-2005, 11:22 AM

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/foot.../greatest.html

I don't agree with all their picks, but there are some very interesting selections in this article. 1999 Rams at #5 for example......
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys really think teams from the 70's would beat the modern Patriots? Aside from the fact that athletes now are larger, and faster there have also been many advances is schemes offensively and defensively. About the only thing these 70's teams would have on todays is toughness and heart. While the Patriots are not as dominant against todays competition as they were against theirs, I feel the Patriots would be even more dominant against teams from the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it should be implicit in these questions that you are judging the teams by their dominance with respect to their contemporaries. With modern training methods, teams today are obviously much better than they were 20 years ago.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

[ QUOTE ]
You recall incorrectly. How exactly is an undefeated team going into its 2nd consecutive SB going to be a dog. I'm fairly certain I remember them being a 7 point favorite.

Also, although I can't seem to pull it up on google, I'm also fairly certain the bears opponent's record's were pretty bad overall too. That has a tendency to happen when 94% of yer opponents have had an L hung on them or 2 by you, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/foot.../greatest.html

From the Article
"The Dolphins want recognition as the greatest team of all time simply because they went through the regular season and the playoffs undefeated, ending up with a 17-0 record. We don't deny this is a great accomplishment -- a singular one, in fact. But this is, ultimately, a thin argument.

Consider, for example, that the Dolphins played one of the easiest schedules in modern NFL history -- the opposition had a combined winning percentage under .400. Unlike the 1985 Bears, the Dolphins didn't stroll through the playoffs. They beat the Steelers in the AFC title game by only four points, 21-17, and were underdogs going into the Super Bowl against the Redskins , who they defeated 14-7. Undefeated underdogs? That means you're not beaten, but you are beatable. We salute the greatness of head coach Don Shula, QB Bob Griese, Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick, Garo Yepremian, et al. But the Bears would have beaten them in a head-to-head matchup."
Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The same people who obsess on the Dolphins perfect season are the same people who believe that BB/100 is the best indicator of poker skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think BB/100 (over an extended period of course) is the only true measure of poker skill. Well I guess $/100 is probably a better number but they should obviously be related.

A better example would be those that say So-and-So is a great player because I saw him win blabity-blah tourney on TV last week.