Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Evolution - from Fish to Formidable inside a year.... (?)

http://www.texasholdem-poker.com/odds_chart.php Here's the best out's odd chart i have found, there's also some other good odd's related charts on this site gl
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 AM

I hate to be a dream killer(I'm a dreamer too) but moving up that fast would be very difficult. To be properly rolled for the 1k game you would need at least 30k(30 buyins). Maybe 50k would be better. When you play against better players your variance goes up and winrate goes down. It isn't easy to go from never playing to being good enough to make 50k in one year(just for the br), although it has been done.

FWIW, I think limit may be a tad easier to move up in. It has more variance, but it isn't as tough on newbies.

I pretty much set my goal at around the 100-200NL level, with small forays into bigger games. Many people are supporters of "shooting for the stars, and falling on a mountain" but I like to keep realistic goals. Nevertheless, good luck in your quest. Really, if you got an insane run of cards you could make it there. Even better, if you got an insane run of cards at a live tourney and won a million dollar prize pool, noone could stop you from playing that high lol.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:29 AM

xorbie live eats and breathes poker though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck on your goal. If you are young, have little to no bills, no girlfriend, kids, friends or life, it's very reasonable that you could make the 1k tables in a year. I have a girlfriend, child, friends, bills and a life and I've been playing NL Holdem(other forms of poker longer though) a little over a year now and I still play 200nl-25nl. So it's possible, but I'm a genius and I'm a serious student in my off time, and I still wouldn't sit at a 1k table. Just kidding about the genius part... sort of.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for the 1k game you would need at least 30k(30 buyins). Maybe 50k would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]
The stars 5/10 NL game is so nitty that I would think you need less in terms of buy-ins than the 2/4NL at stars.

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I think limit may be a tad easier to move up in. It has more variance, but it isn't as tough on newbies.

[/ QUOTE ]
This may be true but if the goal is $$$/hr, the original poster is better off in my opinion playing NL.

[ QUOTE ]

I pretty much set my goal at around the 100-200NL level
I like to keep realistic goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason that you or anyone else for that matter couldn't do better than this.

--------------------------------------------
my experience: I deposited 50$ online about a year ago after playing 2, 3, and 5 dollar min-buy games with my friends at home. I am currently playing NL 400 and some NL1000. I have to say that I must have run incredibly hot for an extended period of time in this because although I was a reasonable player at first, I probably made more than I should have. Similarly, I recently ran incredibly well and won 4 buy ins in one session against a huge donator at a game 3x my normal level.

Ultimately I think luck will determine whether or not you can get to NL1000 in one year. I'd say its nearly impossible that anybody could do this without prior poker experience etc.

Lastly, advice: books are incredibly overrated and these forums are a little overrated too. They definitely help, but reading theory of poker 10 times is not nearly as valuable as reading it two times and spending 3/4 the rest of the time at the table and 1/4 the rest analyzing your own play.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the corrections on the game atmosphere. I guess I was basing it off of limit games and figured it might be the same, but of course I've never played that high in either form of the game.

For clarification though, I've only been playing No Limit about a month, and set the 1-200 game as a goal in 3-6 months.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 PM

I am friends with a player on Stars who I played regularly with at .10/.25 NL around March/April of this year. He is a very successful 10/20 NL player now. He is an exceptional player, right from the start. He logged an insane amount of playing time. So it is possible...but not for many.