Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: OOT: Pick my next book and my gun

Regardless of whether it's an AR or an AK, an inexperienced shooter should not have a rifle as a civil unrest weapon. A shotgun is a far, far better choice.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Do you have experience with the AR Jake? I have a little experience from when I was on the TDC perimeter security team (and subsequently purchasing one), but not much chance for them to get dirty in that situation, unless some slovenly correctional officer gets his twinkie crumbs all over it.

Our military's been using the black rifle for decades now. How's this the case if it's so unreliable? The M16 had a very bad reputation for failure at critical times when it was first introduced in Vietnam, but from what I understand, this has been rectified.

As far as a shotgun goes, I'd recommend against getting an auto shotgun like a Benelli. I think one of the most important factors in choosing a survival firearm, the purchaser needs to account for ease of repair and finding replacement parts. I'd tend to shy away from fancy schmancy foreign firearms.

And stick to commonly used calibers: .45ACP, 9mm, .223, etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AWP!!!!! It's only $4750 and you rescued 2 hostages last round so you have enough money.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really need a 1.5 server, I'd love to take pop shots at some of you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AWP!!!!! It's only $4750 and you rescued 2 hostages last round so you have enough money.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really need a 1.5 server, I'd love to take pop shots at some of you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The term is "pot" shots.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The term is "pot" shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears I don't care. Go figure.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
AWPs r for n00bs. If ur 1337 enuf ull buy a Scout.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM

Choice of a weapon depends on where you will keep it and potentially use it, and on how much training you intend to do.

I would not recommend an AR-15 (or any other rifle) unless you can commit to some serious initial instruction and regular follow-up. If you want a long gun for home defense, I recommend the Mossberg 12ga with an 18.5 inch barrel:

The same thing applies to a hand gun. You should train regularly in any case, but a revolver is simpler to operate and preferable for anyone who is not going to practice regularly and take periodic refresher courses. I would recommend an older S&W .357 like:

If you are going to get a semi-auto, do not buy a Glock unless you have given one a good testing. People generally love or hate Glocks. I don't hate them, but I never really liked mine and traded it in on a SIG P229. It's a matter of preference, feel, comfort, etc. For stopping power, it's hard to beat a good old 1911, and you can't go wrong with a Kimber: