Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: PC Network help needed

I will try to find out more information on the Netgear router. The new pc connects when you boot both the modem and the pc? I am just asking to make sure I am understanding exactly what is happening. Are you bypassing the router when you do the reboots?

From now on instead of using repair this connection I want you to renew the IP address a different way. ( it is possible when you use repair this connection it is doing more than you want it to do)

To renew your IP: GO to Start - Run - Type in Cmd then type in Ipconfig /release when thats done type in Ipconfig / renew

What brand of modem do you have? model # if you have it?

Just try to be patient and go slow, I used to do contract work for Time Warner Cable. Troubleshooting modems and networks just so you know I have done this before. I am going to try to break down a simplified step by step method of things to check and try. Lets get the connections of both PC's working one at a time without the router, then later you can work on adding it back to the loop. If this sounds like a good plan to you, we can go about it this way.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:22 PM

Found a manual for your router on the bottom does it list the model # as RP614 or RP614v2?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:22 PM

I have been unable to connect utilizing the router since last night (prior to the new pc). Yesterday I had two 'old pc's' connected via the router. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB4101. I will try to get the other pc going with the ipconfig commands.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM

RP614. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:33 PM

If I dont restart the computer and modem on the second computer I receive an error message when ipconfig/renew. The message says 'an error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: unable to contact your dhcp server. Request has timed out.'

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-27-2004, 05:44 PM

I want to see if you can get into the router setup. Go ahead and reset your router with the button on the back. Connect one PC to the router which one should not matter. You do not have to connect the modem to the router yet just 1 pc. Open your browser window and type 192.168.0.1 and hit enter. Did the login window open up? If so were you able to log on to the router? I know this sounds crazy but we have to be able to get you into your router setup, the internet should not be needed to do this?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:48 PM

I am currently into router settings on the new pc.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-27-2004, 05:52 PM

I had not seen this last post when I sent my last post in, to many windows open [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Your going to have to reboot the modem each time you change cables, once you get it working it should not be a problem after.

On the computer you have working after the reboot thing, try the IPconfig commands, it should be able to renew your connection. I just want to verify this.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Try setting it up like your manual says if you still have it, if not I can send you a link to a version on the net. Your routers autosensing setup is what has caused most of the problems so far is what I am thinking, but were almost done hopefully.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:28 PM

Thanks a million! They are both now connected and working. My last problem was resolved by changing the router MAC Address from use defualt mac address to use computer mac address. It then connected to the Netgear website and returned I guess the correct MAC address. Thank you very much for your help. I am afraid to turn anything off now......

Thanks,

Jim