Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: fairly simple position question?

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw i am about 25/20 and was at about 28/22 at this table. do you really wanna 3bet me with a8o, j10, a4s?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you really think LAGs have gametime or pokerace running?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:38 PM

I don't make the said 3-bets, no (posted my opinion before your follow up post). I don't think "oooh profit" when I see a 32/25 is all [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM

In a 4 handed game if you play well post flop 32% VPIP is too tight.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM

23 hero 1 sounds great

you want the straightfoward player behind you. you dont want loose cannons behind you taking advantage of their position and putting you off balance, you want position on them.

i want the #3 player directly to my right so that when he limps in from the CO i can isolate him on the button. when the CO openfolds you have 2 players who are fairly tight.

when the loosepassive is in the BB and you are the CO, the straightfoward button might not take advantage of your openraises.

i gave considerations to to having the straightfoward player on your left, the loosepassive on his left and the tricky player on your right, but i dont like it. i think its close though.

you want the loose idiot in the BB when youre on the button, but the tricky lag will probably be taking advantage of the loose BB by openraising more often than normal, which will probably be alot. when you 3bet him you dont get to play with the terrible loose player postflop.

the loose passive player wont be openraising as much as the other 2, so by having him on your right you maximize your vpip on the button by having more steal attemps.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:00 PM

you seem to have trouble playing against lags. dont worry everyone does. youre a little tighter than alot of good players advocate which can be good against certain player types but against lags they are likely to run you over. if a lag is 3betting you you have to cap light, especially when you are in position. its a game of chicken with these guys. someone is going to fold and you dont want it to be you.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:02 PM

These guys may have been LAGs when the table was fuller, but now they are almost playing optimally for 4 handed play.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM

yes i would say so, preflop wise at least. lags can be really dangerous shorthanded. if you see a lag and know he plays bad if you take him on shorthanded youre probably going to lose if you play hit or miss.

sometimes i play against these guys in heads up matches and they are the type who just cap every street with anything. in theory play like that sounds terrible but if you dont know how to play against it youre going to lose. alot of these crazy maniacs have good rolls and do well in games because people dont know how to beat them.

playing extremely aggressive heads up can be a great strategy as alot of players dont know how to play against it. these players utilize this strategy but dont play very well postflop. alot of players assume they can beat crazy maniacs by playing hit or miss against them and extracting value when they catch pairs. that could be true but a smart maniac isnt going to spew alot against you and when he does it wont matter because he will have already made so much by bluffing you out of every pot.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't make the said 3-bets, no (posted my opinion before your follow up post). I don't think "oooh profit" when I see a 32/25 is all [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

neither do i. i think, "[censored], i hate these guys."
Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a 4 handed game if you play well post flop 32% VPIP is too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea. sure. any other gems.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. if a lag is 3betting you you have to cap light, especially when you are in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

the position that most are advocating would give BOTH lags position on us.

i also disagree with capping light. why not just let him take the lead so he can continue to bet his a2 or thrice overlayed 66.