Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Post Flop Play for dummies - HELP

Check raising scares the crap out of people. That's how it's differant. If they call your check raise, then you have two choices. If you like the turn card, push. They have to have one heck of a hand to call, and if they had that strong of hand, they would have reraised on the flop. You get alot of 2nd pair, top pair weak kicker, and draws out with the check raise that will call your flop bet. If that's too radical, then a 1/2 to 3/4 pot bet will again take the pot alot of the times, and if he comes over the top, you can get away from it. Try it with no cards sometime and see if you don't start to agree. What you want is one of those hands where you are in the BB or SB. Got to see the flop for next to or nothing. Button limped as well. Checks to the button who bets minimum. You see it all the time. Everyone folds. Now instead of folding reraise 3 times whatever button bet. Watch how often they'll drop the hand. They were just taking a stab at stealing it. Alot of the time thay will call it, only to drop it to a decent bet on a blank turn, which I believe makes this a profitable play. More so than throwing your chips in the dark.

Later,
Rick
Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 PM

This is the classic bet the flop/fold to a raise hand. Betting about 75 says 'I have a jack' and should be more than enough to get everything else, except for something like TT-88 (maybe) out of the hand. If you get called, shut down except for possibly calling a *small* turn/river bet. If you get called and an ace hits at any point you can relatively safely check/fold at low Party games.

Checkraising is wrong because by the time you CR you'll have put half your stack in the pot. It may scare them into folding a better kicker, but this is Party and you don't *really* want to play for all your chips right now.

Villain (Hand 2) should have folded PF and folded again on the flop (this second one, especially, is not close; that is how you bleed chips with marginal hands) but hey, he got paid off when he hit.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:32 PM

Bet you 10 bucks that if LP had bet 30, which is a I have 2 cards and you guys don't want that little pot, and BB checkraised to 100, at least 5 out of 10 times you'll take the pot right there, and at least 2 more times you'll take it on a blank turn with a half to 3/4 pot bet. I wouldn't check raise half my stack. That would be a waste.

Have to agree to disagree.

Later,
Rick
Old 03-10-2005, 12:43 PM

I'm a bit of a newbie here but whats wrong with betting something like 120 on the flop? Find out where you are, no messing, nobody is playing unless they have you beat, and limping hands 10J, QJ might even fold.

If you bet 80 and get a caller, both check turn, then you've probably going to call most rivers, so its costing you more that way anyway?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a small stack, so your options are limited. I'd probably check and let them bet with worse hands. If they check behind, I'm coming out firing on the turn for 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume this advice only applies if the turn card is not an overcard. So specifically to this hand.

Back to the preflop action. With limpers, do you think it's fair to assume that MOST of the time what you can expect the hands to be are Ax, two broadway cards, small pairs, or suited connectors, and sometimes one gape suited connectors?

[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively, I also might bet 100-125 on the flop and try to take the pot immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as for scubachuck, i like firing 75 at the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

How much difference is there between these two bets, especially from early position? (Before smartass's says 25-50 chips), I mean from the point of view of the villain? I guess it would make sense to bet more if there's a flush draw, but with the monochrome board, less should do it. Is that thinking correct?

[ QUOTE ]
he should definitely lead at this flop. there are only 3 people involved and they all limped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was a big decision factor for me here. How does adding 1, 2, 3... etc. change your decision to bet the flop here?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much difference is there between these two bets, especially from early position? (Before smartass's says 25-50 chips), I mean from the point of view of the villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are planning to shut it down completely if called, you might as well put in an extra 25 to give them the maximum incentive to fold right now.

If you are willing to put more money in on the turn/river if called, you should bet 75 and keep the pot smaller.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are planning to shut it down completely if called, you might as well put in an extra 25 to give them the maximum incentive to fold right now.

If you are willing to put more money in on the turn/river if called, you should bet 75 and keep the pot smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, good thought.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:40 PM

I think you probably have the best hand on the flop but can't be sure. You are vulnerable to A-Q so don't give them a free/cheap card. Bet about 2/3 pot. You just read Harrington. Isn't that what he would say?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit of a newbie here but whats wrong with betting something like 120 on the flop? Find out where you are, no messing, nobody is playing unless they have you beat, and limping hands 10J, QJ might even fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a larger bet is in order when there's a straight or flush draw on to ensure you don't give them the odds to call here. However on this raggedy board, a bet of 80 is enough so that:

- Those with overcards don't hang about, which you don't want with such a vulnerable hand.
- You're not committing yourself if someone with a better hand comes over the top of you.
- Those with TP worse kicker might call and hold on.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what Scuba thinks about my play. ..do you see why? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunch of comments on both hands by people...Anyone notice some striking similarities between the two hands? lol.

They are the same hand from different perspectives [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well played...

Pokerscott