Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know how to play poker (variance q?)

[ QUOTE ]
Help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a few days or a week off. Distance yourself from your results. Come back refreshed and prepared.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:06 PM

My downswing was 50% higher.

After my post (pretty much the equivalent of yours) half of the responses were people who took it upon themselves to [censored] on me.

I pulled through. Very few, if any, changes to my game (coach hasnt gone through my hands yet) and i'm back and well above 1BB/100.

You've been playing longer than me, you're a better player than me, and you've got the forums behind you. If I can pull through, you should have no problem.

Best advice I can give is to keep playing.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 PM

I am no where near the player you are, but I had a horrible night at 10/20 the other night - played too long, got too aggressive, tried to be too tricky.

My next session, I played less tables, toned down my aggression and tightened up my starting standards - kind of getting back to basics. I also limited myself to 400 hands.

Even though I got some brutal beats, I still walked away from the session with a level head, feeling like I had played well.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 PM

variance and tilt

keep reviewing your hands, sometimes the cards don't hit, and sometimes you play stupid -- you know you do. keep studying hard and openly, you'll keep getting better, stop playing stupid, and keep playing. take breaks when you need them.

you are one 400 bb tear from thinking you are the best freakin poker player in the world again, trust me, and it's just around the corner.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 PM

i looked at the graph and thought who the hell cares, then looked at the x-axis and pooped myself.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:37 PM

I hope I don't have to go through one of those.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:43 PM

Wow. Lets hear it for rakeback, no? I have super-respect for you to be able to pull through that and still come out at 1.8. Glad you're running better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a few days or a week off. Distance yourself from your results. Come back refreshed and prepared.

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own I suppose...

FWIW, I take a different approach. Whenever I run bad (and feel as though I'm playing good) I play massive amounts of hands. I'm talking like a 4,000-5,000 hand day or a 20,000 hand week. I just play as much as I feel comfortable with until I start running good.

I just feel like the sooner the long run gets here the better...

___1___
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 PM

I'd suggest you probably move down, you pretty much got lucky and overrated your abilities from pyramiding.

I overrated my abilities also and when the downswing hit it pretty much screwed up my head and my game.

tiltaholics

Get back to basics.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 PM

Only thing you can do is keep playing, I have gone through a hell of a stretch. Move back down, gain some confidence and try again.

I went through two 300bb downswings both in 5k hands at 10/20 a few months ago FWIW.

Oh and btw, go through hands with as many people as you can. That usually helps if people say you still play good. And if you don't you have something to improve on.