Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2002, 08:52 PM

Default Re: TeddyKGB\'s last hand in Rounders

prolly because the picture looks like he's tossing pocket 10's.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:26 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

"No harm, but it doesn't belong on a poker site,"

i find it a nice change of pace from the norm. also, since the movie involves alot of poker i think there's a place for some stuff on here. this isnt the first question regarding the movie. along with stuff about cincinatti kid...

"And Teddy's hand was Aces and Tens. Why don't you believe me?"

i cant remember the flop, whether it was rainbow or not...if it wasnt, then teddy would have a set, thinking mike may be drawing to his kicker, with maybe a gutshot draw...

and since teddy is tiliting, and doesnt think mike is as good much less better than himself. he may overbet this pot here. he also has the option to 'reload' at any time, and he thoroughly didnt expect to lose, given his reaction...he indicates that the A onthe last card couldnt have beat him alone, hence 2 pair is no good....the only thing that beats him is the str8. which mike has. and the A didnt help teddy's hand...what's the 2nd best hand on the flop that could only be beat again by AA on the river, which mike's play indicates he doesnt have from earlier rounds of betting? TT sounds good

it is kinda fun to analyze a movie hand....

fun thread...

b
Old 11-17-2002, 09:46 PM

Ok, I'll bite, how do you know it was Aces and Tens?
Old 11-17-2002, 11:14 PM

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but I thought you could make out the cards as Teddy is mucking them.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 AM

Default He definitely flopped a set, because...

Teddy flopped a set, and this is why: In both of their poker scenes together, Teddy and Mike are constantly talking about hands they don't have, or hands they're not really afraid the other guy has (Mike: I'm gonna go all in, 'cause I don't think you've got the spades). This would be a prime example of the "amateur tells" thebroker referred to. Thus, KGB actually puts Mike on top pair or some other hand he might call with, and the table talk is to indicate that he might be bluffing. It's actually kind of cool from a narrative point of view, as Teddy mirrors Mike's arrogance from the opening scene.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:50 AM

Default One other symbolism observation for us film geeks

I love how in the very beginning, Mike has his bankroll hidden in all the books, videos, etc. that he's studied to get to where he is. I think this is to show that these books are literally worth a fortune to the serious player.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:47 AM

If you look at the image that you posted, you can see quite clearly that the left card is a black eight. The right card looks to me like it could be a black ten, it has four pips down the side, it might also be a nine, because the center pip or pips are not clear.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:24 PM

They made it a point not to say what teddy has in the screen play. I've seen the movie about 100 times, and have strained my eyes trying to see what he holds, and cannot. Nor, is the freeze frame in the post clear. The point is, teddy is putting mike on a hand, and puts him on a wrong hand, cause mike manipulates him to. Meaning, mike severely outplays teddy, as teddy does in the opening scene.
This is a great film. To expect them to make this movie only for poker players, is silly. When I first saw the movie, I had played very little poker, and never Hold em. And it did a great job explaining the game, and what it takes to be a winning player. Plus, it is very well acted. The characters are well done. And it has an excellent plot. The movie is a lot more than just poker.
There is not one thing wrong with discussing this movie on this site either. It's in general hold em, and is a question about poker. And frankly, it's not just a movie, cause it is what got me into poker in the first place.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:20 PM

Default It doesn\'t matter what he had......................

he put Mike on a draw. You don't cards to bet in this spot. The only way he will get called on the end is if he is beat. This is standard big-bet strategy. KJB played it right to his read, until the river. You put a guy on a draw you have position over you bet when a blank hits the turn. If the river is a blank he will not call a bet, especially an all-in overbet. Therefore you should check the river to avoid the check-raise when being slowplayed against. Betting is just bad in this spot if you feel your opponant was drawing and missed.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:07 AM

Default Re: It doesn\'t matter what he had......................

Broker,

You are correct only if Teddy really puts Mike on a draw. But suppose Teddy really puts Mike on a lower set or some such two pair hand and he wants to get paid off. He knows Mike is exhibiting amateurish tells, but in Teddy's mind he rates that Mike is holding a lower set. Teddy's mistake here, then, is not considering the possibbility that Mike is holding the nuts. But that does not make any of his plays wrong, only his reaction of incomprehensibility when he loses to a hand he might have suspected.

In this scenario, Teddy's talk of draws is meant to suck Mike in. He is taking Mike's tells and twisting them to his benefit, only he misreads Mike's hand. Now, you might argue that this is a ridiculous contrivance, but all of these moves are not beyond a player of Teddy's caliber.

Generally, though, I agree that the final hand is filled with problems. If Teddy believes Mike is on a draw, his bet makes no sense, unless he believes Mike's draw was to overcards including an ace.

Mike