Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: AKO Button vs Small vs Big Blind

folding here getting really great odds is very bad.

but whats even worse is calling 2700 chips with a 4900 stack and getting taken down to 150. you should probably switch sites.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Results..

I’m back – sorry for the delay.
Anyway I’ve done some analysis on this and I’ve changed my mind slightly. I felt originally that it was a marginal fold, but after doing the figures I reckon it is a marginal call.
My assumptions are
(i) the small blinds hands are in the range 77 –AA, AK,AQ (he’s short stacked but not desperate)
(ii) the button’s hands are in the range TT-AA,AK (the OP said he was aggressive but he didn’t say he was stupid).
I fear the button more because he has gone over the top after a suspicious min raise from the SB.
So I reckon that the button doesn’t fear a call from the SB, which is another indicator of strength.

As I said before, this is not a clear cut decision and IMO anyone who says it is a trivially easy call is not taking everything into account. If you’re going to put both players on hands such as Ax and Kx, then obviously it’s a call, but I cannot accept those as realistic hands in this situation.

I’m more than willing to listen to any intelligent analysis, and am always willing to change my mind if convinced by a counter argument.
One line responses such as ‘Betgo is so blatantly correct’ are not really helpful.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(ii) the button’s hands are in the range TT-AA,AK (the OP said he was aggressive but he didn’t say he was stupid).

[/ QUOTE ]

That range is way too tight given the action. You need to include at least AQo/s, and pairs down to ~77/66.

He's raising to isolate and drive you out, if he's not stupid, he's probably not doing this with AA or KK as since one guy is already all in, he just need to worry about you, so why drive you out with a premium hand?

Expand your button range.

After expanding your button range, you will see that Betgo is blatenly correct.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-17-2005, 11:38 AM

Default To clear up a few things

I believe villians stack must have been closer to the 4,800 range. I was left with close to I think 200 chips after he won the hand.

First off. I'm loving Ace King in this situation with an aggressive player. But, lets revist the action. Raise, reraise, All in, call. With that kind of action Button's hand is screaming big pair. I'm thinking kings or aces at this point where I'm behind. If I knew he had jacks of course I would call, typical race, but I would still be behind. Ace king against one oponent is an easy call. But, against two oponents it shrinks up in value. After all it's a drawing hand. And assuming SB went in with an ace as well. Thats on less out for me if my oponent indeed did have kings.

Finally, I agree I should have raised more pre-flop to get the action more heads up. And, I'm not trying to be results oriented. Quite, the opposite. Just given the action, and not knowing what villian was holding, I should have assumed bigger hand than mine, and I was behind in the hand. Which in fact I was, which is why I contemplated folding here. But, of course others mentioned the pot odds, and they did come into play here which is why I ultimately called. However, a player wants to get his money in when he is a favortite, not the underdog. Which I clearly was in this situation given the action, and not taking the results into account.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to include at least AQo/s, and pairs down to ~77/66.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I disagree, as does the OP in his most recent mail.
That kind of reraise is foolish with those hands, especially in view of the SB’s suspicious min raise.

Contrary to what you say, the button may raise with AA and KK, figuring that you (the SB) will be getting good odds on the pot and may call.
And with AA,KK you want to get as much money as possible in preflop.

If he has AA,KK you think he should just call. Then he is offering huge odds to the SB (almost 10/1) on a large pot. The button has to charge him more than that. When the pot gets that big, the emphasis should be on winning it right now.

It looks like we’ll have to agree to disagree here. I don’t think there’s much point in any further posting. Thanks to everybody who responded to my posts.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 PM

u sir are still an assclown. nice back peddle donkey