Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: 400-800 hand

[ QUOTE ]
there is one other option which is to checkraise the river when he bets. the main benefit might be he will now dump a Q or even a weak K rather than tolerate the embarassment of calling one more bet having been played so badly. since the player is a young hot shot type who might pride himself in how good he plays this has an extra chance of working. and even if he does call (presumably with a better hand, but who knows sometimes maybe not) the whole table now sees that youve made a crude strange play that will make an impression on them and serve to confuse them on later hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking right along these lines but I kept my mouth shut because, to me, $800 is more like what I lose in a bad night than one big bet.

SpaceAce
Old 07-07-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost gauranteed he doesn't have a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do say this? Are you assuming he would have raised the flop or turn?

Luke
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 PM

It seems rather unlikely he has a flush or a K. So it seems like either a monster, a bluff, or a Q valuebet. Yeah thats a fairly wide range but I fold the river in a spot like this about once a month against far more straightforward players.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:27 PM

We still love you Mr. Snakehead.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:05 PM

This hand is not clear cut.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:31 PM

you can do better than that. you're supposed to challenge me to play heads up.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is not clear cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you gotta remember that he only needs to win about 1 in 8 times in these situations to show a small profit.

Let's say there's a third chance he made a monster (flush or set or top two), a third chance he's value betting a Q, and a significant chance that he's value betting a worse hand or bluffing.

I think if you had to pick extremes, always calling in this situation would never be that bad whereas always folding could be a big mistake.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM

I'm so sorry I haven't lived up to your expectations. but I guess I'm the only one who thought the original post is just a notification that the poster is playing 400-800. as a poker question, it is quite lame. as for mr cheese, he attacked me out of nowhere, probably because he thought I insulted his friend. he may be a very good player, but he is obviously very full of himself. sounds like he fits right into the vegas poker scene.

in the future, I'll try not to post what I'm really thinking.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:41 PM

"I guess I'm the only one who thought the original post is just a notification that the poster is playing 400-800?"

but why would anyone here care what limit some new poster is playing?

next week ill post some gnarly 8-16 hands then youll all see what sort of high limit poker ive been playing.

anyway im very curious to know what line you think hero shouldve taken snakehead because it's not obivous to me and i respect your opinion more than anyone at higher limits.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you had to pick extremes, always calling in this situation would never be that bad whereas always folding could be a big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

very well put. I could have saved myself some grief if I had just said something like that. at any rate, folding here is anything but standard, as the op seems to think.